Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Different types of Loctite

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHALER
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you educate me on the different types of loctite and what the uses are? I thought there was only one flavor but it has come to my attention recently that there are more than one.

jturn36178
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just google locktite There will be a list of the different types and their applications.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Loctite name is placed on a LOT of different products. Assuming you are talking about thread lockers Red 263 is hard setting, blue 243 is medium hard, Purlple 222 is light duty. Green 290 is called "wicking" type that supposedly you can apply after the fastener is assembled, never seen where it did much good personally. Most of the aftermarket stuff follows these color codes.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a bit like asking about John Deere, 3M, Monsanto, or Ford products. Loctite is a corporation that makes many products. It would be best to search their website for the specific products you are interested in.

http://www.loctite.com

thepumpguysc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like the others said.. lots of diff. products.
In my field, turning wrenches, theres BASICALY 4..
Blue is service removable, Red takes a lot of heat/flame to remove, Green is permanent & a red hydraulic..

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get on their website. There's a whole line of adhesives from Loctite.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen the wicking do good. Rear sight pin on pistol would walk out. Drop of wick and lock stopped that issue. Put some on the set screws and other places on one of my tractors years ago. Went back in to do some other things years later and I was worried about getting one of them back out, but it came loose with some extra force.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is probably more then what you have said. I know not long ago I found out about one type of Loctite that I had never heard of before that takes the place of a gasket on many of the newer tractors and it is not cheap $16 plus tax for a tube of it

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And then there are primer activators

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is what I have used for years. Mechanical work, car radios, old photgraphic cameras and lots of other stuff. Just stop at the dollar store and pick up several different color bottles of shiney nail polish. Cheep enough and it is very strong. Just put a dab on a nice clean bolt and I will bet you that nut stays put. Used it on my Kohler engine valve cover bolts just a few weeks ago. Also use it to color code stuff and even make little signs with colorful lettering. Very handy. Filled in the letters on the dash of a lawn tractor. Came out fantastic. They come from like 1/2oz. size down to tiny sample bottles that are 1/4oz. The toughest is the clear over coat bottle. They are a bit bigger and make a VERY tough coating. Give it a try.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you sometimes ' Accidentally ' get some on your fingernails Jeff ? Smile

I have used nail polish on small instruments before but never larger fasteners , if it sticks them down as hard as it does the lids my wife asks me to unscrew then it has to be effective .

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give some a try. It works really well. Here is the bolt that holds the
idler pulley on my Husqvarna. Just a smear of nail polish and screw
it in.

timcasbolt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loctite has an extensive inventory of very good products to choose from. And they work very well. The Gorilla people are now marketing a competing product called monkey spit that I have been trying. Doesn't seem to be much different in the way it works. They have 3 levels of sticky, and it's a fraction of the cost of loctite. Time will tell if it's as good.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Even more important for the “lock products” is to have the threads clean and 100% oil free. Acetone or alcohol works well enough.

awb
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Different types of Loctite Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loctite black is really neat, we use it sometimes in the machine shop. Put it on the bottom of a piece of aluminum and 'glue' it onto the machine, and it becomes impossible to move side to side, but you can pull it up with almost no force. Works great even with 12000rpm tools

Of course we make a real vice for repeat jobs, but black loctite works good for a sample part

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters