Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sad brick bricks.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In town on a side street they are totally referbing an older small house. Built in the early 50s. It even had lath and plaster walls. As they got into it there was so much watee damage on one side they stripped it right down to the basics. Repair and reframed. Add a rear room. Also a second floor with three small bedrooms. The house was totally done in brick. They took it all of because as they started working the crummy cement just started breaking loose. I saw what was going on and asked if it was ok to grab some. No problem. They filled an entire 17yd dumpster level full of brick. I was able to grab four loads of brick with my little trailer. Can only carry so much brick folks!! I scored 600 bricks for two days work. All cleaned and ready to extend my little brick driveway. Looking in that dumpster you just want to cry. Thousands and thousands of bricks.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

35 years ago, when I was young and foolish, I bricked my house. It took 25,000 brick. Glad I didn't have to clean mine before laying them.

If I ever get the urge to brick another house, I'll sit down until the urge passes.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As a kid, had an uncle who bought a to-demolish house in Houston for $1 for 1 week. It was a VERY old 3-1/2 story, and many of the bricks used had been used before. You could tell the difference between bricks that would ping, and others that would thud. The oldest bricks pinged and had been used at least twice before. No telling how old they truly were.

Anyway, uncle wanted "some" things (mostly flooring, I think) and Dad decided to 'harvest' some of the brick. One good load and he realized enough was enough! ...And guess who ended up cleaning the old mortar off the bricks? Yup - me! I was the only one with enough patience to do it, but I'll never do it again!! I was probably 12 at the time. Took until high school to finish chipping that mess!

And yes, some of the mortar just crumbled. As near as I can figure, the house had been added on to over the years. One of the brick contractors made lousy mortar mix. But whoever laid the 'pinging' bricks.....their mortar was meant to last many lifetimes!!

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The driveway that goes to your other garage, that is where you need a brick drive like I am doing. When all done it looks pretty sharp. I can remember as a kid bricks were .25 cents and some were 29 each. Sure not that now! Some are over a buck plus each.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use an air chisel like for doing body work but you want to turn the
cfm. down so it kinda chuggs. You angle a paddle blade just right and
most of the time the mortar just pops off. The bricks from this house
almost all of the cement was grey. Was hard but it didn't knit into
the bricks. I was just tapping it right along the edge of the joint
with a wreck bar. Pop...off it came. Didn't even need a masonry
hammer. I wish I had somewhere that an entire loaded dumpster...could
be dumped. Such a waste of perfectly good bricks.

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They look like a brick made by NJ Shale brick co,,they will hold up well for your driveway

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes the reason the mortar doesnt stick good,,those brick are really dry ,they can suck a lot of water,,in the hot you can spray the brick with water ,let them sit a bit,,then lay them in mortar,otherwise the dry the mortar so fast its hard to lay them

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I would guess this house was built in the middle of August. There were no tie in straps in the bricks and only a single layer of them. They just touched the wall and the bricks just started to fall apart. Just want to cry about that dumpster full of bricks.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought my new brick from the brick factory for $.23. They are clay brick, fired in an old kiln

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bricks that i had for a patio and removed and poured a concrete slab. They were extra bricks from when I built my house in 1970.
I had dug these bricks out from old abandoned foundations and such a few years before i built my house

mtf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just about finished building my house and gave 31 cents for my bricks. They are queen size though. Smaller than usual.
Nathan

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very very nice work!! How long did it take you to do that?

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yup, hate to see that in a dumpster. Surprised they didn't sell it to reclaimers. When I moved into my newly built house over 30 yrs ago, I expanded the laundry room 2nd year we were there. I stripped the brick off and saved them. When I got done with the expansion, I cleaned the brick and hired a mason to rebrick it with the same brick as the house. You can't tell it's been added on. I WAS going to brick it myself but my wife put the kabosh on that. She wanted a nice looking job. Laughing

When we moved earlier this year, the neighbors couldn't believe I was packing up and moving stacks of bricks I had in the yard. I'm not sure what I'll use them for but someday a light bulb will go on and voila! I'll have the material.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jeffcat,

If you have leftovers... I'll hire ya to come and make a small brick patio on the south side of our house.

Maybe build a pergola over the top of it too. LOL!

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad brick bricks. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So that means this pile that I have ready to go is equal to 1/41 of your house!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters