Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tractor tow dolly

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1954Frank
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years (and years) ago when I was young(er) there were lots of tricycle front end tractors still in service. I have seen a tow dolly for this type of tractor; you drive the front wheels into a cradle. As you go forward the cradle rotates up and over center, lifting the front wheels. Some kind of pin arrangement keeps the cradle in position. Some kind tie-down straps, chains, whatever keeps the wheels in place. Then you can pull it with your truck... Anybody familiar with something like this?
Thanks

ramblineagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know a guy who has that setup that he pulls behind a trailer,loaded with a tractor,that he pulls with one of his tractors to shows and other tractor events.

centralilbaler
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes i have 2 of them. I use them to tow when going to local shows.

centralilbaler
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dolly's

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have or did have one but it has been at a friends for several years. It was homemade when I got it about 30 years ago. The cradle is shaped like about a third of a 55 gallon steel drums but is only wide enough for the front end. The wheels are mounted on the ends of it and are from a 36-39 Ford car. The hitch is welded solid to front of unit, cradle does not move. You can have a tractor on it and unhook and hook back up with no problems. It had ramps made but they wewre missing when I got it. I just used a cement block with a short plank on top of the block to ground to load, when loaded I would just put them in truck bed. To unload just set brakes on truck and back out, droping front end as no worse than putting the front end thru a plow furrow. Was a chain bolted to frame at front of cradle and just wraped it around the pedstile and back to front frame where a piece was made with a slot to slide chain in. I used it for years and others have borrowed it as well.

1954Frank
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cool picture! Thanks.

Thanks for all responses.

centralilbaler
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I picked those 2 dollys at auctions i've been too, just for this use.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot see how a rotating cradle could work.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Combines and tractors with wide front ends need a rotating cradle on the tow dolly.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you build one, I'd advise making the tractor wheels rest a little bit in front of the dolly wheels. That puts a little weight on the truck and will help you when pulling a hill on gravel. If the tractor wheels are centered directly over the dolly wheels, there is a rotation that lifts the dolly tongue when you pull forward with the truck. The harder you pull the higher it lifts. It's not too noticeable on level ground, but it is bothersome on a hilly gravel lane like mine.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is entirely different that what I understood him to be talking about. I understood him the cradle rolled forward and back so it was low to drive in and rotated forward when the wheels are in so they would not pull right back out without a back side to hold them in. I used what you are talking about to pull automobiles on as my Fatherinlaw had one to use behind his camper.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having it balanced means you can unhook with tractor on without having a jack under toung of dolly.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I guess you could do that Leroy.

We always rolled the tractor off and then unhooked the dolly from the truck. I didn't have a jack on it. I originally built mine to be balanced, but had to scratch and claw getting up the hills on our lane. I cut the spindles off and moved them a few inches to the rear and it made it usable. It's been a long time since I've seen it. I can't remember if I traded it or loaned it out and it didn't come home. I remember that it was real easy to loan out, in fact it usually took several phone calls to figure out where it had "moved" to. I started to weld my name on it one time, then it dawned on me that some borrower could get in a wreck and right there real convenient would be my name. A lawyer's gift from heaven.

I used to make hay all over the neighborhood, and it was handy for getting equipment to the field with just one driver.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The sheet metal ramp on the tongue comes off via pins and is pinned onto the back.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor tow dolly Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never had that problem. What hills were not that bad and where we would want to unhook was lever enough did not have to even think anout setting tractor brakes or on a wagon blocking the wheels.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters