Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

An Italian Sickle Bar Mower?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JollyRogers
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: An Italian Sickle Bar Mower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello

We found this sickle bar mower and need some help identifying it. Whats left of the stickers says Giaccaglia G, searching online brings up the company GIACCAGLIA GIULIANO & C. S.n.c. CERBARA - Citta di Castello (PG) ITALY. They do have a website, but it does not quite match the descriptions they have.

The square tube on the left appears to be for a stand?
It is missing some kind of cover for the belts.
The pitman arm is busted. Do i replace this with soft wood or hard wood?
The grassboard is missing, will a universal fit?
And what does that arm with a spring on it, above the pitman arm, do?

Thanks!

Tom in TN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: An Italian Sickle Bar Mower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jolly,

Your business is none of my business, so whatever you decide to do is right. Having said that, I personally, wouldn't touch that mower with a ten-foot pole. Used Ford 501 sickle bar mowers are readily available in my area (Middle Tennessee) for less than $500.00. Used and new parts can easily be obtained, many of them are available at TSC. User Manuals are essential for adjusting sickle bar mowers and can be purchased for a Ford 501 for $20.00 or less.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Tom in TN

scott mcintosh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: An Italian Sickle Bar Mower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Run Forrest,Run!! My township had a flail mower from Italy it is always broke waiting for parts from Italy.Taxpayer dollars at work.Scott

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: An Italian Sickle Bar Mower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with the others on this- friend bought a BRAND NEW Italian disc mower at an auction- mowed about 2 acres, something major broke, he never could get parts, and finally junked it. That mower looks a little flimsy. And what is the deal with the top link? Is it a chain? If so, put a proper top link on, or the first time the mower digs in a little, it will flip forward and turn itself into scrap iron. By the time you buy this one, replace the pitman, the cover for the belts, the swathboard, and get a cover for the PTO shaft (with it uncovered, you'll have the shaft wound up with grass almost immediately), you could have bought a decent usable mower.

The arm with the spring is the break-away, for when you hit something.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: An Italian Sickle Bar Mower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use hardwood. TSC sells wood stocks not drilled out. Any grass board can be made to work. I don't know how high your PTO sits above ground, but I have not had a guard on a mower in around 50yrs on F-20s, and CaseCC, and H Farmall, and didn't have much trouble with grass winding around it. I could see that you could have trouble if the PTO sat closer to the ground. As others have said, You couldn't run fast enough to give me one of those IF you were to take my IHC Horse and tractor mowers away.

BobReeves
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: An Italian Sickle Bar Mower? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably the break back mechanism, guessing it will swing around so it can be connected to the tractor. If the sickle bar hits an unmovable object it will let go and hopefully save the mower/tractor.

I just finished resurrecting a Ford 515, not as easy as it might seem and I could source most every part I needed.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters