Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
X-Y switch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case1783alt wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:59:53 10/01/1Cool My dad and I have just yesterday got a 1941 Allis Chalmers WC running. When my dad checked the oil pressure gauge however, it read no oil pressure. He thought it was just the old gauge, and put in a new gauge. When we started it again, there was no oil pressure. He could feel it with his thumb when he put it over the hole. Could anyone determine why there is no pressure readable on a gauge, or do WC tractors just have a low PSI?
Just read all of the comments that you received on the WC oil pressure. I remember Dad and GrandPa commenting on the new WC bursting oil filters, don't know what the oil pressure was but it must have been pretty high, also knew an old guy that used a pint jar full of rags for a filter and it seemed to work ok for him.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The gauge of a WC is good for 0-30lbs. pressure max. They normally run from 5 lbs. to 15 lbs. oil pressure.If it split filter can something
was wrong with filter or oil system. You could use about anything but doesn't mean its doing what it should.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are equipped with a "bypass filter", and the oil that passes though the filter gets "returned to sump" with NO restriction on it.

How's that scenario gonna "bust a filter"?

Case1783
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that is what the filter looked like, but it still might be a few days before we can get a new one, my dad is working late and can't get one. Once we do, however, we'll see if we can get this problem fixed

Case1783
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, the filter we're using was probably sitting on the shelf, since probably the 70's. Would that at all affect it? I mean, it was in the plastic wrap still, but...

Like I asked before, would that affect oil pressure because of an old filter? We need a new filter anyway, but still.

Either that or our gauge is busted.

Also, sorry if it seems like I'm asking a bunch of questions... I'm just a curious teen. I've always been that way.

Jim.ME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it was sealed in a plastic wrapper, it is likely ok. If it is the right type media in it, it is likely ok. It the tube inside is there, tight, and not bent enough to leak or damage the filter media, it is likely ok. Your gauge may be bad. As previously posted by D beatty get a 0-30 lb. gauge, 100 psi range is too much. You can put a short hose in place of the gauge, so you can aim it into a bucket, and start it to see if oil comes out the hose. Don't run it long when checking this way.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An old oil filter could break down over time and if it has not work little it needs to. I do not know where you are but my local O'Reilly's where I get a lot of my parts at is open till 9PM 5 days a week and open till 7pm Saturday and Sunday

X-Y switch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers WC oil pressure? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:35:50 10/02/1Cool They are equipped with a "bypass filter", and the oil that passes though the filter gets "returned to sump" with NO restriction on it.

How's that scenario gonna "bust a filter"?
Just saying what was handed down to me 60 or so years ago, maybe the filters weren't up to the task.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters