Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

painting a crawler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anybody ever try to paint a crawler? I have a John Deere 420 crawler. Looks about impossible to get to all the undercarriage, etc. It has three different colors of paint on it, including the old John Deere construction yellow on the blade. Thanks in advance.

IA Roy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you know someone with a service pit in garage you could work underneath. Could also powerwash there. A better choice might be a hoist. I would think a hoist would be rated high enuf for that size of the machine. Just be careful.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is like painting any other vehicle. You have to do the amount of dissassembly required to be able to get at all parts well enough to prep and paint according to how you want it too look when you are done. You could contact Landis Zimmerman in Ephrata, Pa., phone 717-738-2573. He is very knowledgeable and I am sure he would tell you how his beautiful crawlers are done.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't want to mis-represent myself as a painter, but I've found through tips on this forum that the pot style paint gun is best for getting in under obstacles on equipment. They'll paint in any position without spilling paint. I'm not endorsing any brand, but I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it has worked good on a couple of small jobs.
an example

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, a pressure pot sprayer would allow you to get under the machine and spray the paint in any angle you need. Still it would seem like you would need to drive the crawler up on something to get under it. Not sure what would be safe to make that happen.

Patsdeere
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did a cat 22. I drove it up on some 12x12s. I didn't break the tracks, but to get a killer job you should. I used a normal hvlp gun. Took a little maneuvering, but wasn't too bad on the underside.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have painted 3 Cats---lots of power washing and scraping and wire brushing or sandblasting--I had built a 16 inch deep pit outside with double 8x8's to get the machine up a bit---also use it for maintenance and repairs.Just used a HF $10 gravity feed gun that worked pretty well.
My D47U

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D47U

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I repainted the JD 440 crawler loader and backhoe. Lots of cleaning and degreasing. I too drove it up on some large wood blocks to get under it better.

Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: painting a crawler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the good suggestions.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters