Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

no fire

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like switched wires, or a bad vacuum leak to me. If it was in the valve train, you would expect the compression to be off.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

be nice to see the actual compression readings. people always leave out the important stuff.

gregjo1948
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:14:27 10/10/1Cool be nice to see the actual compression readings. people always leave out the important stuff.

I said the compression was good. Didn't realize that I had to prove it. It ran 120 to 130.
As far as the bent push rod theory, it can't get compression if it can't get air!!!!
I came on this forum to get some help not to be called liar or an idiot.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bent push rods can let in air but restrict gas so compression can be ok but yet not fire due to them not opening enough to let in enough fuel.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we are trying to help you out!we do not know anything about you. ... so we must go by actual readings not by what someone says. many people have no idea what is good or bad readings. a reading can is very helpful, much more than a "good" , could be a burnt head gasket between cyl's, could be stuck valve closed... then the pushrod bent. be very easy to walk up to the tractor and inspect it, but thats not the case here. on a compression check the #'s get recorded with each cyl . and keep track that way. not just 120-130 , but in this case that good. same as reading spark plugs... keep them in order and they tell a story also. were they carboned up on those 2 non firing cyl's? like how do we know. or are they normal looking. lots of info we never get. this is important .plus you said the tractor has not run for some time. did you ever see it run? plus you said you did not see the firing order rotation but had an assistant check it. well.. more proof thats not first hand. never did i call you a liar or idiot or did i hear anybody else say that.
when we ph. in for help with a problem on a unit we must document everything that we have done and checked. when we get asked a question we must have an answer for the big cheese so he can help us out. never could figure out why people give little information and want big results. you were told to spray gas into the two non firing cyl's... well didnt hear what happened there! was it done or not done... that was more good advise. maybe there is a mouse next in the intake ... like how do we know.

Mike Van
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could it be as easy as a bad distributor cap?

gregjo1948
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congrats to rustred!!!!
Seems my assistant doesn't know the difference between clockwise and counter clockwise. Watched rotation myself
and found it was backwards. Fired right up and ran nicely on all four cylinders. Sometimes I over think a simple problem. Thank you and sorry about my rant.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

he says spark at the plugs when out and grounded. no mension of the cap inspection for cracks??? runs on 1 and 4. so means firing order, burn't head gasket ,valves, intake restriction. said has good compression so that would eliminate the valves and head gasket. leaving pretty much carburator , restricted intake. did not mention about air cleaner. plus tractor has not run for some time.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: no fire Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you are very welcome! i just had that suspicion as once you said 1 and 4 firing first thing that made sense. ooh and rotations are always as standing behind engine or flywheel. thanks for the feed back.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters