Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Am putting the roof on the new garage - 25 year 3 tab asphalt. 14 square.
Wondering about venting.
The soffit will be perforated aluminum.
I like the looks of the continuous ridge vent rather than the square, raised box type vents.
If I go with the raised box type vents how many do I need for a 1000 sq ft garage.
Another factor is I recently removed an attic fan and patched the ceiling for a lady. I kept the 2'x2' fan and was going to install it in the garage ceiling.
I think they just vent out the roof vents.
Would that make a difference which type of roof vent would be better?
Looking for thoughts/opinions from the brain trust.
Thanks

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ridge vents with open mesh fiber filter work well and self compute the amount needed. There are more leaks with the box vents and it is necessary to use local codes to set the number/size needed. Jim

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely go with the ridge vent. Your lucky if you get .75 sqft. of venting per can. You get about .35 sqft. of venting per foot of ridge vent.

grizz02
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

one thing that is overlooked with ridge vent is snow if your vents are covered up by snow they cannot breath we use gable end vents mine are 18x12 and let a lot of air through summer and winter

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Dog. What do you do in your shop ? If you weld a lot, spray paint or have a solid fuel heating system you are venting all the fumes and suspended particles into the ceiling and ultimately the roof vent. If not it isn't an issue. Many roofs I worked on and especially steel we used the mesh cap across the entire roof. When I was first introduced to mesh I thought that driving rain and snow would penetrate them, but it doesn't. It is an excellent way to vent and leaves no area of the roof or attic without good air flow. We left an inch to inch and a half on each side of the peak, thus approximately 3" which the roof mesh cap covered very nicely. I'm not against roof vents , you can put them all on one side of the peak so they don't show from the street or whatever view you wish. A power vent is the ultimate , this is thermostat controlled , pulls an incredible mass of air very quickly. I have one on my house and I wouldn't be without it. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

GEO-TH, In
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a formula, so many sq in /sq ft ridge and eve vent. Personally I don't think you can have too many vents. Ridge vs roof about the same.

If old shingles were curved you need more vents. Eve vents are as important as roof or gable vents.

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dimensional shingles last longer and look nice. I reshingled the farm house last year. The wind off the fields is harsh and those old style three tabs were coming off. The new shingles are heavier and hold up to it. Just a thought.

Part Time Pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to start my vent about a foot off of each end, so basically the entire ridge. If you're worried about looks, they make a vent material that's made of perforated black plastic, and you shingle right over top of it. I don't think it works quite as well as the standard ridge vent, but it's not as noticeable
Regarding three tab vs. architectural shingles; you'll be much happier with architectural's - around here three tabs are special order anymore
Pete

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple of added thoughts.
Roof Depot told me the architectural shingles are actually cheaper now days.
But I still went with the 3 tab as I was able to get the same brand and color as the house.
I do have the plastic, continuous vent at the peak of the house - the type you cover with shingles. I it has a fiber mesh stuff in it.
I was concerned about them plugging up if you ever do much welding, etc which I will.
I doubt I'll ever paint in there. The overspray makes a mess of the place in a hurry.
Another thought I've had is build an airtight chute from the ceiling/attic fan and vent it to the outside on the back gable end. That wouldn't reduce attic temps but would pull air through/out of the garage yet prevent the ridge vent from ever plugging.
It's cold and windy up there today but I'll have one side done by quitting time.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything we have has continuous ridge vent, that seems to be the way to go. One thing I have worried about is the house has a hip roof, so the ridge is not full lenght of the house, we probably should of put a square roof vent on the S end.

Rkh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should go with architecture shingles. Longer warranty, dont mold, or black streaks. I used the hard plastic roof venting for ridge-one foot from each end. Just did my 24x24 Gambrel roof.

Pops1532
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've installed hundreds of roofs with 3 tab asphalt shingles with no problems. Just repaired a roof where someone nailed the architectural shingles in the wrong place....fixed 88 leaks!
Anyway, nothing wrong with the aluminum vents that are boxed in and angled at the top....if you use enough of them. Stay away from the ones that have a square cap covering the round hole. Snow and blowing rain can be a problem with those.

If you use ridge vent do not use gable vents. Ideally you want an even air flow from the soffit vents to the ridge or roof vents. Most roofers will install plywood on the inside of gable vents to close them up if they're using ridge vent.

Something to think about with the fan is it will blow welding soot and such out your vents and could discolor your shingles (or vented soffit if the fan moves enough air).

After seeing 3 of the thermostat controlled roof mounted fans catch on fire I disconnected mine.

One other consideration....if you plan on selling the place go with architectural shingles.

Spook
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go with the ridge vent. Shingles are whatever, depending on what your budget is. If wind is a factor ,I?d go to a 6 nail shingle pattern.

1 2. 2. 1. I tried it, on a roof that had blown shingles before, not one since.

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious- how do you nail architectural shingles in the wrong place?

One caution on architectural shingles- you have to install them on a "clean" roof (not over a previous layer of shingles). I did, and roof was shot in 10 years. According to the guy who installs most of the roofs around here, there's something about them that makes them "cup" and drain sideways if not laid down flat on a clean roof (don't remember exactly what he said). He said he still gets calls from people who want to leave the present layer (like you used to be able to do with 3 tab) to save money, and he politely declines.

As far as the vents, go with the ridge vent- faster to install, looks better, and seems to work fine.

Pops1532
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Any roofers? Wondering about roof vents. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-coshoo wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:48:35 10/11/1Cool Just curious- how do you nail architectural shingles in the wrong place?

Nail spacing...If the two center nails aren't spaced correctly, they can be too close to the joint in the course above or below. Some were directly in the joint!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters