Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trailer axles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Achmann
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guessing this has been brought up many times but what is everybody?s thought on trailers with mobile home axles? Are they really only a one time use axle? What is the capacity of them? I see a lot are made by dexter so they should be good. I?ve seen some trailers on here with them. I?m not saying they?re bad, I?ve seen a lot and even own a bobcat trailer with them. I see New brakes come as a weld on assembly. I?m looking for a gooseneck project trailer and finding a lot with mobile home axles in my price range. I?m not scared of the goofy 14.5 tires they have. Some people don?t like them tires.

Pops1532
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have one trailer with them and have had a few others with them or the similar axles made for equipment trailers.
I've never had a problem but apparently others have.
First off, check the laws in your state. They are not legal on new trailers in some states.
If you can use them in your state, put better bearings in them. Most importantly install the rims correctly. Use a toque wrench and check for run out.
Although I've never had any problems with them I plan to change the axles (or maybe just the hubs and brakes) so I have other tire and wheel options.

Pops1532
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some are 6k, some 7K. Might be other ratings as well. Some of the equipment trailers didn't use MH axles, they used a similar UTG axle that are better. You're so limited on tires for either of those and that's only going to get worse with time. I'd look for a trailer that has 8 lug hubs.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My experience: will not hold up. Had nothing but grief and expense when I used those. Axles and those light duty spoke style rims will not hold up. Well, maybe a 18 hp lawn tractor they might haul.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just because they have cast hubs does not make them trailer house axles. You can buy still today, brand new Dexter trailer axles with cast hubs and tires to go with. You can identify trailer house axles by the brake backers which will be welded on in stead of bolted on. If the brakes are bolted on you have legitimate trailer axles which are legal in all States as long as they are not modified, for instance cut to length. Cast hubs axles should be rated at 5200lb, but may now be 6k since I believe Dexter eliminated the 5200lb axle from their line up. But that is just a rumor and I don't know that for fact.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Getting more difficult to find "new" MH axles now-a-days.
Many manufacturers reuse them many times and get them back some how via a bounty, etc.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't have as many problems as lots of others but they still were not as good as a regular axle.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use mine a lot it will haul anything you can put on it and I?ve drug it a lot of miles . There is a 14.5 tire that?s a real lo pro equipment trailer tire .

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer axles Reply to specific post Reply with quote

...I forgot the little bumper pull

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters