Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

ford 601 double clutch install adjustments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ephratah
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

does any one have the measurements for a new double clutch install on a 601 workmaster I have an I&T shop service manual and it wants you to make a template to do this I would rather just measure it if possible this my buddies tractor and I am doing this as a favor for him. I own and operate an auto repair shop and this thing has one my 2 lifts tied up makes it tough to work with only 1 bay when you are used to having 2 bays. If any of you guys need help with any vehicle questions I can answer them for you not so much with tractors L.O.L.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean.

The double clutch assemblies used on vintage Ford tractors with so-called "live power" are factory adjusted.

Are you speaking of a pilot shaft?

Dean

Tom in TN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, Ephratah. Thanks for the offer of advice.

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger extended cab pickup. It seems that the "door-ajar" switch on the passenger's side has malfunctioned. I had this same problem on my former 1997 Ranger and the fix was to spray WD-40 into the latching mechanism on the door. Apparently the switch would get stuck and by spraying the lubricant into the latch mechanism, it would free-up the switch.

I've sprayed PB Blaster into the latch mechanism on this truck about 7 to 10 times and it hasn't fixed the problem. Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks again for any help you can give.

Tom in TN

Dollar Bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ephratah wrote:
does any one have the measurements for a new double clutch install on a 601 workmaster

Welcome to the forum - Glad to have you!!

If it's a reputable kit, you shouldn't need to adjust anything other than the pedal free play. Just to assure yourself it is correct I believe the 3 fingers for the transmission pressure plate should be 3/4" higher than the PTO pressure plate fingers.

Free Play Setting: 1½” - Turn the adjusting screw in to increase free travel or out to decrease free travel.
Clutch Adjustment: Lengthen the clutch release rod to decrease height and shorten to increase heights.
On 5-Speed transmissions, the clutch pedal can be repositioned to the 7” height for transmission clutch operation only. Relocate the clevis pin to the front clevis hole.

Ephratah
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i would unplug the connector at the latch and see if the warning goes away the latch provides a path to ground i tried to attach a wire diagram and it will not allow it

Ephratah
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the replies i was not aware that the clutch came factory preset and i do not trust factory settings i all ways verify plug gap prior to installing in a vehicle

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you insist upon adjusting or verifying the adjustment, you will need a pressure plate press and the proper measuring fixture(s).

This is why the assemblies are factory adjusted.

Dean

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the last one I had apart I took the flywheel off bolted the clutch asy up to the flywheel and made tools to check it using a known good set up...

I now have tools to check clutch asy set up from a known good working unit if I can remember how to use it.

pomester
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 601 double clutch install adjustments Reply to specific post Reply with quote

related, check carefully the condition of the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel - they are special shouldered bolts and on the last on I did they were stretched and needed replaced -

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters