Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Best method to paint next to wood molding

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rkh
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Going to paint bedroom ceiling and was wondering best way to paint next to wood corner cove molding? With all new things coming out, thought I'd ask the experts, since I haven't painted ceilings in a long time.

Mutt and Jeff
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hire a professional.

Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steady hand.

Pops1532
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like the others said....steady hand. If you don't have one, hire one.

MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

steady hand.. ORRRRRRRRRRRRR tape.. my hand isnt as steady as use to be.. I use blue masking tape.. make sure it is stuck to wood really well.. I run a 4 inch puddy knife along there you want it to stick to help stick it down..

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the widest scraper you can buy, then just shove it in the corner and paint against it. Do a foot and move down. Just did my entire house this way and it worked great.

Idaho Digger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like MS2020 said, 3m blue tape. unroll it 3-4ft at a time, touch it to the molding every 6-12in, then press it in with a putty knife.just using your finger almost guarantees bleed thru on the edges.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Palleting the brush just right and hand control. Sweeping brush strokes.

Idaho Digger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, MSS3020! CRS......

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rkh; If you haven't got a steady hand, and you still want to do it yourself, you can trade inconvenience for expertise to some extent. First, watch YouTube videos about painting interior rooms. Some are excellent. Even after forty years of painting as part of remodeling work, I learned things that saved me time and made the job better. Regardless of what you learn, here are some things that will make the job better:

1. Spend however much time it takes doing careful prep. A good outcome often depends more on the prep than on the painting.
2. Use the best quality blue painting tape. It's more expensive that the cheap stuff, but it's enough better to be worth the extra cost.
3. Mask off the molding as precisely as possible. There's no other point at which it will be as easy to keep paint off of it, or get paint off of it.
4. As you trim next to the molding, stop and pull the blue tape off every few feet before the paint can dry. Clean the molding of any paint that's gotten on it where you've removed the tape.

It isn't easy to set your mind to the slow, tedious pace that extra care requires. What usually happens is that impatience and frustration make us decide to do the best fast job that we can and live with the results. But the job will be over in a few hours, even if it's the slowest you've ever painted a room. Whether you're proud of the results or embarrassed by them, you'll have them to look at for years.

Stan

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good tips Stan!

One I learned from Youtube, if it's a popcorn ceiling, run a 1/4" screwdriver around the perimeter, knocking the popcorn off in the corner or against the crown mold. makes a clean edge to paint to.

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always find that once it is masked off , use a very light coat to cover the area. A heavy brushful may bleed around the masking tape. Two light coats is better than a heavy coat. I always use "frog tape" which is advertised as not to bleed through. The 3M products mentioned work well.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a 12 inch drywall knife and paint brush to edge with. Move the knife and paint brush. Don't use painters tape.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do like George does and free hand any dips and dives. Tape takes forever to apply, had enough taping in the body shop to last me a life time and half!

2510Paul
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Best method to paint next to wood molding Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of great comments. I would add whether free hand, tapped, or guarded, a really good quality brush is a must. Paul

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters