Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen some interesting old tire patterns here and there, but thought it might be an interesting and informative question I don't recall seeing here before.

How many kinds of different tractor rear or front, antique or modern tires are there and whats the use or preference for use ?

Feel free to post images or what have you.

The one that comes to mind is like on this old JD LI I found in '09, wish I could have gotten it bought, but could not, the tires were lugged, at an angle and a little curve to the lug, and all the lugs were connected, what was the purpose of those ? (I had a darned photo of the LI, but the phone was "laundered briefly and dried completely, but never came back on, had a few good shots on that one !)

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This old Firestone pattern was popular in its day for some reason. I can tell you this,at parade speed on asphalt they rode rough as a cob.

Stan - Florida
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That particular Firestone pattern came along in the late '40s...before that, the lugs were straight and connected.

We had those on our '49 JD 'A'. For no good reason I can think of, I didn't think they held the ground as well as the open-tread Goodyears.

Stan

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been told by pullers that they aren't worth a darned. I never took a pair out in the field and worked them. That tractor is just a chore tractor,used around the yard feeding cattle.

LAA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its kind of hard to tell at an angle but those look like rice and cane tread, also used in the woods on log skidding tractors.

Bspauld
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had tires like that on my JD B when i got it, they worked ok fitting but could spin easy on wet grass

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad"s "47 JD B came with similar tread - Firestone, if I remember. Think they were OK, when they wore out, he put a conventional tread on, probably that was what was available.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Similar to rice and cane,but the tread wasn't as deep.

JD John
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grandpa always said they were good for winter because the chains wouldn't fall down between the space in the center of the open style of tire.

Dick W.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And NO good on a grass field. BTDT

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Stan, Firestones from mid 40's. Earlier Firestones had straight lugs, closed center.
Big debate at the time was whether the closed center, or open center such as Good Year pulled better.
B.F. Goodrich had open centers, but the end of lug looked like a check mark.
Rice tires would have lugs a lot taller than these.
Willie

Old weldor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 39 F20 has the closed center firestones.

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Dad's C had the closed center Firestones. He said they were useless in mud or any wet surface and only good thing was for chains in the winter. When he traded C for SC he insisted on Goodyear open centers.

JimB2

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That BFG was called a Super High Cleat. Had them on my first C Allis in the late 50s.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor Tire Types- how many are there and uses ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a Case SC that had those BFG Silvertowns on it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters