Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Speed trans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cbennett
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My tractor says 8N on the housing but it only has a three speed transmission. A lot of the tractor looks like a 2N. Could it have been made in a year that they used parts from 2N's and 8N' to use up parts?

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More likely you have a 2N with a replacement engine that came out of an 8N. Not a problem.

CJ in Michigan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2N motor mated with an 8N rear end. Mix and match!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty common to have a mutt which is made from 2 or more dead tractors just to have a good running one. I have a friend who had a 9N/8N mutt. It had the 9N transmission and front end with the I-beam radius rods but a 8N engine that was a side mount

John Smith8N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cbennett wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:31:49 03/12/13) My tractor says 8N on the housing but it only has a three speed transmission. A lot of the tractor looks like a 2N. Could it have been made in a year that they used parts from 2N's and 8N' to use up parts?

Ford never "used up" any older parts on a new model. That would be a parts replacement nightmare for dealers and mechanics and the people who wrote the parts catalogs. Whoever started that ridiculous story years ago should be shot.
As the others have stated, your tractor has a replacement 8N engine that was swapped in some years after the tractor was originally built. Very common.

Cbennett
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll start looking fro 2N parts for the tractor and 8N parts for the eng.

John Smith8N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cbennett wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:24:28 03/12/13) Thanks, I'll start looking fro 2N parts for the tractor and 8N parts for the eng.

As long as you have the front mount distributor engine you can ignore the 8N block marking completely. The 2N engine and the front distributor 8N engine are pretty much the same and use all the same replacement parts. Just keep things simple and consider your tractor a 2N.

kathleen kanzler
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old, I have a 2N tractor and I want to put in an 8N side mount Distributer replacement but I am concerned about how to wire it. I understand no resistor but I am not sure about the rest of the wiring. Do I just use a late model wiring harness and a new voltage regulator? How did you do it?

L. B,
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi John. Ref never used up parts. I got a 43 2N 35 yrs ago that had 32" rims and tires on the rear, the tires said US Farm Tractor Only. I thought only 9Ns had the 32s and due to war time they used up the older 9N rims on my 2N maybe.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Three Speed trans Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well first off you switch it to 12 volts or staying with 6 volts??? If staying with 6 volts just take the resister that is on the dash area off and hook the 2 wires to each other problem fixed. The round coils on 6 volts do not need the resister the square coil needs to as long as staying with 6 volts just as easy as I said

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.