Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6700 256 engine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
james r
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a 6700 ford 1982-1985 256 engine i trying to rebuild. but the piston i order stick out the in of block about 2mm . they or HD4nn6108A part #. the casting # on block is E1NN6015 JE. I have call 5 diffrinent compants they all give the same part #. Can anyone help me with this

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is that the part # on the old or new Piston? Are you sure you don't have a 6710 or a BSD replacement engine? Piston heights are different by about 100 thousands.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it truly is a 6700, it would be a '77-'81, and an '81 would be a 'Blue Power Special' with a 268 c.i. engine. Like Welding man says, it may be a 6710, or have a BSD replacement engine.

james r
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that is the # on the new piston. looking a the crank it has 4.4 on it. someone could have change engines. what is a bsd engine .if a 256 has 4.2 and 268 has 4.4 would that make the 2mm diffrent in height in the piston.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IIRC, there's different pin heights on a 4.2 vs 4.4 stroke piston.
BSD engine = Basildon Service Diesel. They're basically a Ford tractor engine of whatever vintage the given engine was produced... just that it was sold as an industrial engine or as a replacement engine for Ford tractors.
You need to get the engine numbers off the pan rail and also see if it's got an engine date code stamped on the right front upper mounting ear. BSD engines also generally have a DPS rotary injection pump (lines come out the end of the pump head) and will also have a cross hatched block design. The original engine in your tractor will have a Simms/Minimec pump and the block will NOT be crosshatched.
So... figure out what you have first and foremost.

Rod

james r
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

#'s offpan rail *891501*. #'s off mounting ear ECE 60A11 6A20A . My tractor was made in england I found that out when I bought a starter for it.I hope this helps find what I need to know.I am sure it has Simm/Minmec pump.The fuel lines come out the top. And thanks I am finding out A lot more about this tractor.

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a 268 engine (4.4 stroke), and you are ordering parts for a 256 (4.2 stroke), then yes, you indeed have the wrong pistons.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are there any numbers on the other pan rail?
E1NN and the date code of 6A20A suggest to me that the engine was built up on Jan 20 1986. If you're sure it's a 4.4" stroke crank then you're definitely ordering parts for the wrong engine. Given the other numbers I'm kinda of the mind to say it's a 268 or a BSD 444.

Rod

james r
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for all the help.I'm will get pistons for a 268 and try them if that works I will let you know . again thanks to all of you.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take those numbers to the dealer and have him double check them and make sure it's a 268. There's a lot of different pistons avaliable even for a 268...

Rod

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod,

What else could it be if the crank has 4.4 cast right on it?

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's got 4.4 cast on the crank... I guess it's a 268. To be honest, I forgot that he posted that in an earlier post.
It's still nice to know with certainty what the engine is exactly. You know as well as me that there's some very tight unit code breaks on specific parts on those engines, particularly around the water pump... that he ought to know even if it's not overly relevant to ordering pistons.

Rod

james r
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the numbers to a dealer and call 3 outher dealers with them . I guess they are still scrathing their head over them.They could not tell me anything.Y'all have told me more than anybody.

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the bore is 4.4", and the stroke is 4.4", then it's a 268. Period. End of story.

About the only other thing you need to be aware of is the difference between turbo and non-turbo pistons. Non-turbo pistons will stick up about .010" taller than non-turbo pistons. You want a non-turbo engine's piston protrusion to be about .011-.023" above the top of the block at TDC.

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 6700 256 engine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oops, I meant to say non-turbo pistons stick up taller than turbo pistons. Turbo engines have a lower static compression ratio.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.