Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sediment Bowl/Valve - Left-Hand Thread?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Sediment Bowl/Valve - Left-Hand Thread? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On page 17 of the TO-20 Operation and Maintenance Manual, in the "Fuel Filter and Sediment Bowl" section, it says "NOTE: valve has a left hand thread."

What is this referring to? Where the valve threads into fuel tank? If that"s a left-hand thread, I"ve never seen it mentioned elsewhere on the board.

I"m planning to remove the valve to clean and coat the fuel tank.

(I had posted this question in an unrelated Sediment Bowl thread a few days ago.)

trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sediment Bowl/Valve - Left-Hand Thread? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom i think where the fuel control (on off) there's a packing nut that might be left hand and where it threads in the tank is right hand nothing fancy

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sediment Bowl/Valve - Left-Hand Thread? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Trac.

I've tightened that packing nut (to fix a drip around the stem) and I'm pretty sure it was a normal thread.

And, there may have been a left-hand thread somewhere on the original assembly that was changed in later versions. (I think mine is a replacement.)

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sediment Bowl/Valve - Left-Hand Thread? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was written when the were still using the old style sediment bowl that had the brass filter inside. If you read theTO30 manual you will notice that it no longer says all that. Just simply 2 turns counter clockwise from closed and fully open for the reserve, but they had since changed to the sediment bowl with the screen like we are all accustomed to.

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sediment Bowl/Valve - Left-Hand Thread? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Jason - that makes sense. (Are there any of the old style left out there?)

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sediment Bowl/Valve - Left-Hand Thread? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was some one on this site a while back posted a pic of one on their tractor. I couldn't find the thread when I searched though. There are very few of that style still left out there.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.