Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aglicknmex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My friend was given one of these with a bad engine. Split and taken apart, it has bad crank, broken front piston skirts, slightly scored cyls.

We have not yet determined what engine model this is. Too many numbers on the block to guess what is what. 3 cyl diesel.

Is a short block available anywhere? Parts?

Sorry we are very new to this game. Wanted to help my friend with some knowledgeable advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im a Mercedes diesel nut, so not new to diesels..........just tractors!!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3 cyl 175ci

any of the 3 cyl jobs would fit in.

ie.. a 158 early gasser.. 192 from a 4000 or even a 201 from like a 4600...

soundguy

aglicknmex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did ford actually make those 3 cyls or were they fergies or even a perkins??
I remember my dad had a TO35 which I helped split and rebuild one time.
He was always wishing it was a diesel like some of the neighbors has! I never knew who actually made those motors.

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, Ford made the engines themselves. Any 3 cylinder gas or diesel engine from the 1965-1975 2000/3000/4000 series up through at least the 1975-1981 2600/3600/4600 models should bolt right in, probably some later models would fit as well.

aglicknmex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Livinging SW New Mexico, we arent exactly in tractor country. We have cowboys and horses mostly. Guess we will need to be looking for rebuild parts, cause parts tractors are gonna be real scarce......

Thanks for the info, I will be keeping my eyes open for any old Fords-- ya never know!!

cdmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shipping may be expensive, but it shouldn't be too hard to find new or used parts, if you can save the block. A fairly common problem with old diesels is that the cavitation in the water will erode small leakage holes through the cylinder walls.

aglicknmex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to say,

the engine seemed to fail from diesel fuel in the crankcase, diluting the oil.

Leaking injectors(gravity feed tank) ??

bad injector pump?

Im really just guessing...........

GT65
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You find one those blocks as close to home as you can then but a "Shout-Out" on the "hauling schedule" over in the left hand column here towards the top, I bet you could work something out. The block doesn't take up that much space! Just make sure where ever you buy it that they have something to load it with and you have something to unload it with!! Good Luck!!
GT65

aglicknmex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shout out" very neat, It makes looking farther away worth while!!

thanks!!!!!

Still wondering why this engine failed, see my last post----

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

aglicknmex wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:54:18 03/15/13) Shout out" very neat, It makes looking farther away worth while!!

thanks!!!!!

Still wondering why this engine failed, see my last post----

From your original description:

Quote:
bad crank, broken front piston skirts, slightly scored cyls.

Sounds like it might have been run with contaminated oil or without oil at some point. Diesel fuel in the oil is most likely from a leaking seal on the injector pump, bit I don't think that would contaminate the oil enough to cause the damage that you're describing. If you don't know the history of the tractor, then it's anybody's guess. People have been known to abuse equipment any one of a thousand different ways.

aglicknmex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Damage happened 50 hours after what was supposed to be a complete
overhaul, We have found the cyls were not bored as billed. I believe that previous owner was taken for $ 4000 overhaul was not really done!!

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Parts are readily available from NH as well as a variety of other sources, some more questionable than others.
The block can easily be repaired by sleeving. Buy new pistons. Replace the injector nozzles (have serviced by competent diesel injection shop). Have the head checked for flatness and the valves ground/replaced as necessary... and observe the specs for recession closely.
THe crank... can mabey be ground enough to repair it. I'd make a point of pricing a new crank first tho. Along with a full gasket set, a new oil pump and a new water pump that will about cover it. If you want you can also have the injection pump serviced/cleaned.
If that's all adding up to more than you want to put into it... I'd suggest you call Alexander's tractor parts in Texas. They're the main regional Ford wrecker in your area. They can probably fix you up with a good running engine that will fit. Any Ford 3 cylinder Basildon engine will bolt in there. You may find some odd complications with linkages, intake and exhaust depending on what size or vintage of engine you get tho.

Rod

alg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: FORD 3500 INDUSTRIAL--- DAMAGED 3 cyl diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ct farm and country has a rebuilt one for 3800.00.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.