Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slight stumble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianLivingstone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Slight stumble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello all. I have a 46 2n with 12 volt conv.
I have been playing with the carb as per instructions posted
here a couple weeks back. I have it running much better
however if I take it from a low idle to higher rpm I have a slight
stumble . Is this normal?
When I engage the clutch in 3rd gear it also backfires a bit
until I am up to speed . Any thoughts?
Thanks Brian

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Slight stumble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stumble u describe is often cured by opening the main fuel adjustment screw a tiny tad..That"s what I"d try and if it makes it worse adjust it the other way two tiny tads..usually 1-1/2 turns open and u are mighty close..might wind up being closer to 2 turns out.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Slight stumble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW I obviously do not agree with the "two turns out and leave it alone"..It just don't work that way..

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight stumble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds lean to me.. open up the mainjet 1/8 turn at a time and gas on it and check. keep doing it till it smooths out. watch the exhaust.. hopefully it smooths out BEFORE it starts blowing black sooty exhaust. find the sweet spot betwixt the two if possible.. :)

you may find when it warms up.. you can lean it a bit. i find I have to enrichen mine a hair when it gets colder...

BrianLivingstone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight stumble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.
Brian

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight stumble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I stayed away from the "handy dandy carb tweakems" too for a long time.
After doing everything I could do with the distributor; I had to look elsewhere as it seemed to load up on fuel if it idled very long and bogged down on a hill if it was a long pull.
After setting the screws as directed and adjusting same as directed my '48 8n idles smoother, doesn't load up on fuel any more and pulls way better than it used to and doesn't bog down near the top. It even starts easier.
The exhaust popping is about nonexistant too.

Abbby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Slight stumble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brian - I do also experience the same thing. I have recently just rebuilt my carb. I screw the main jet out a couple turns and no affect. If I run slightly choked it runs fine. Many would say I have a blockage in the main jet. I explained that when I rebuilt the carb mine did not have a main jet in it. Some do not believe this. I believe some of the main jets we buy are not the correct size for the tractor for whatever reason. When it warms up I plan to pull mine out, check the size and drill out some amount. Just not exactly sure what the size needs to be. I will use pin gauges to determine what actual size is. good luck

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.