Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandbag3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just got my 9N back from being overhauled and the mechanic had it almost a year outside his shop and all the ignition wiring to the 12 V key switch is rusted out. The engine was running while I was bushhogging when it just stopped. I moved the battery terminals and it started again. After replacing the battery wires, a wire from the solenoid side where the battery is hooked up came off and I think it was attached to the key switch. All the terminals on the key switch are coroded and I will have to replace it and them. Anyway the tractor won"t start but there is power going to solenoid but nothing to the switch.

Is there a diagram that demonstrates where the wires go on the switch? I guess I can get a standard key switch from Auto Zone that has an ACC on it.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.:dunno:

Curtsat15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google wiring diagrams by JMOR. You'll find exactly what you need.

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sandbag3 wrote:
Is there a diagram that demonstrates where the wires go on the switch?

Finding an exact diagram of your conversion may be difficult as there are lots of ways to make the change over. But here's one that may help - Basically the ignition switch controls battery voltage going to the coil.

Courtesy of JMOR

Last edited by DollarBill on Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
sandbag3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks so much.

Essentially all I really need is to know where the other end of that wire that was attached to the left side of solenoid (the same post with the wire to the battery) goes? I have power to the solenoid but no power to the switch and nothing happens when I try to crank.

sandbag3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now the machine won't start. The starter turns over but it won't start. Plenty of gas...

sandbag3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I attached the wire to the acc side of the switch and it now turns over but won't fire... Any ideas?

Now the machine won't start. The starter turns over but it won't start. Plenty of gas...

tom bleeker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my wire on 8n from selnoid goes to ampmeter and ashort jumper goes from ampmetor to resister block the power stud . there are maey variations. look on ebay db electrical is alittle diffrent wiring than the picture above this the 12 volt convertion i did

xring 223
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wireing diagram shows - from alt + to terminalblock isn't this backwards ? mine reads - with headlights on and 0 running and no lights?

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sandbag3 wrote:
Well I attached the wire to the acc side of the switch and it now turns over but won't fire... Any ideas?

With the introduction of an non OEM ignition switch I would guess that you are not providing voltage to the coil?

To check: With your key in the RUN position, check for a voltage reading on the top post of the coil - Assuming you have the original style coil.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 9N 12V ignition switch wiring help please Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds like non oe switch, and addition of a solenoid.. not using the oem safety start switch either..

what coil / resistor combo do you have?

got a test lamp?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.