Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Goodafternoon, everyone!!

So, here's my latest repair... Its a Cast Iron bench vise I'm fixing up for a buddy of mine...

When the thing showed up, the front jaw was cleanly broken from the slide, and I knew it had seen some better days...

So, a quick spark test determined it was probably gray cast iron, possibly white cast, but either way I knew it was, ideally, a job for Nickel Electrodes.

I'd used 7018 with success before, but since this wasn't my vise I didn't want to take a chance on it. I spent $30 on a pack of 10 Nickel-99 Electrodes from Tractor Supply, and after realizing they were only 12" long instead of the usual 14, I got to work.

I quickly discovered that the instructions were useless and it took almost twice the "recommended" amperage to put down a half decent weld, but got setup to run them at 95 amps on A/C...

After lighting up the rosebud and preheating the daylights out of the casting, I started welding, peening, welding some more and hopeing for the best...

I then buried the part in sand, and HOURS (literally) later it was cool enough to touch, and then I torture-tested the finished repair. I'm very happy with how this turned out, I got to run some nickel electrodes, and had another successful cast iron repair...

Quick question: Does anyone know how those cheaper "Normacast" electrodes compare to the nickel rods? I see they're quite a bit cheaper and I want to try them out, too. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them...

Anyway, I just thought I'd stop in and share this video with y'all... It was really fun to make, and I hope you guys enjoy it :)

Have a great week, everyone!!
video1

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ohhhhh, and one other thing... I know someone asked me about school in another post, and I ment to reply to it, but I guess I never did :/

It's going great!! I really enjoy it. As you all know, I'm attending the Hobart School of Welding, for their 9 month structural and pipe course. So far I've made it through blueprint, O/A welding, Basic and Advanced Stick... Right now we're in our first pipe class, which teaches 2G and 5G on 6" Schedule 80 pipe... We took our first test last week, and I was one of VERY few in the class (like, 2 in 3 students failed it), to pass our 2G test with flying colors...

So now we're working on 5G... And I really like it. I have a ways to go, but I'm making progress... After this week, is 6G :)

Right now its all SMAW, but we also have classes with a TIG root and 7018 all the way out, and some MIG pipe as well...

Just thought I'd add all that in, haha... Hope that answers your questions Smile

Green Porsche
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Way to GO Lanse...!!

I'm glad you choose Hobart School of Welding !!

I told you when you were looking that my father went there !!

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have put a 6-feet long piece of 1-inch pipe on that vice handle! Laughing
You need to get a infrared thermometer for your preheating needs.

With SMAW, personally I think 6-G is easier than 5-G. With GTAW 5-G is a lot easier than 6-G! 6-G you have to know how to weld with both hands. Wink

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An old gas grill works well for heating cast parts and slow cool down.I dont mess with cast iron any more, used to bury the welded part in lime.I used stainless rod with good results.I bought a lot of stainless on Ebay for 2.00 delivered.

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting ...

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lance,
Is the vise you are repairing the one sold by HF for about $70? A friend gave me one that looks like yours. It came from HF. It was broken in exactly the same place.

I'm not a formally trained welder, but I did stay once at the Holliday Inn express once. That's suppose to make you smarter, but I don't think it helped me.

That said, I took the broken vice apart, used wire brush on grinder and cleaned the broken parts. Put vice back together so the pieces fit perfectly. Then I spot welded it with a 6011 3/32 rod and 90 amps to burn it in. Took it apart and made about 4 passes. The round metal shaft looked like it was pressed in the jaws, not welded. So I used a little more heat to burn it in. Seems to be holding. Only cost me a few rods. I'm sure someone will give me a toung lashing for using a 6011 rod and not doing it the right way, but it worked. Vise was going to the recycler before I welded it. The guy didn't want his vice back, so I have an extra one.

Don't you find it odd that 2 vises broke in exactly the same place?

I'll post back when my weld breaks.

George

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Lanse, I have long wanted to know about welding cast.

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lanse,

Before you get too proud of yourself calling
arc weld the right way , you need to read the
four pages in the link below.
It is a cram course in cast iron welding ,
that would normally take you a number of years
to learn by doing.

george
cast iron welding

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've heard that the infrared thermometers aren't
always accurate and tempilsticks are more accurate
for preheating purposes.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a biased article despite what it says. O/A welding, brazing or spray welding may be the best methods of repair but there have been thousands of successful cast iron repairs using arc welding. There are also numerous suppliers of rods especially for cast iron repair. I don't think Lanse said it was the right way or the wrong way but his repair held and it's hard to argue with that.

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Puddles,

I agree with the infra red gun, I got an
extended range one that reads to 1800, need it
when doing the normalizing as it needs to be
1500 for 15 minutes. Too hot to put fingers in
to use temple sticks.

george

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Arc always leaves a hard zone next to the weld
and without normalizing it will remain brittle.

Article is not as much biased as it is accurate.
Having o/a welded cast for the last 30 years ,I
can assure you that it is more accurate than the
rod suppliers trying to peddle their wares.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of advances have been made in cast iron welding in the last 30 years as well. It would be interesting to hear someone like Eutectic Castolins take on cast iron repair with arc welding.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stick Welded some Cast Iron the RIGHT way... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stick welding I have wondered how accurate the infrared thermometers are, don't see a lot of talk about them. I know they get real expensive, especially the temperature rage George is talking about! Temp sticks are a lot cheaper.

http://www.dualwelding.com/?page=store&item_no=222

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.