Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT--Tree Killing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jiles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have three sweetgum trees that need to go. They average 50' tall and are about 14"-16" at base. I would like to kill them so that when weather and time permits, Leaves will be gone.
Would like some suggestions.

Oliver662011
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been in the tree service/ landscaping industry for a while and I am a commercial applicator I would recommend either cutting it down and spray stump completely with Tordon (Available at your local elevator). If you dont wanna drop it right away take a axe chop a eight inch to one foot wide path and remove the bark all the way around the cut spray with tordon. Mike

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another way is to take your cordless drill with an auger bit, maybe 1" or bigger and drill some holes at a 45 degree down angle halfway through the tree and pour the Tordon in the holes. My neighbor's pesky Mullberry trees just across the fence mysteriously died that way. Oops. Jim

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reminds me of my first house.
The 96 yo man I bought it from was born on the island of Furo in Norway. Windswept island in the cold N Atlantic. They had No trees there. He lived in his/my house for 60 years and hated trees. So for all those years he kept the neighbors branches brutally trimmed away from his side of the fence.
When I bought the place the neighbors' trees on both sides looked like someone had bent them almost over. From decades of trimming hey were bending WAY AWAY from the property line. Not one twig was even close. Looked rather comical.
When I bought the place the neighbor lady who was almost as old he was asked me if I was going to be as cruel to her trees as he was.

super99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Granddad called that girdleing a tree. He killed a lot of them that way. Make 2 cuts around the trunk about a foot apart and peel the bark off. He got rid of a lot of unwanted trees that way. My uncle once said that if Roy had had a chain saw, there wouldn't be a tree left in Drury township.

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't have to drill in that far or that big of hole. Only the outer few rings are living. Tordon or Roundup works on most trees.

Larry

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a horse to chew the bark off it. We had a horse that loved to do that. Never could figure out what it was missing. Probably brains, knowing the horse.

When I was in college some fraternity boys girdled a couple of trees as a prank. Cost them lists of money and popularity in the end.

CAROGATOR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have also heard that driving in a couple of copper nails would kill a tree.

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just girdle the tree no need for chemicals of any kind. Take an axe and at a comfortable chopping height cut out a notch all the way around the tree, about 4" wide and thru the inner bark The life blood of the tree travels up and down the tree in this inner bark.
anatomy of a tree

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Isn't that a vampire?

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a crazy neighbor that cut the bark from our Walnut tree about three feet wide, all around it, killed it dead.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jiles, Needed,, 1 Stihl 036 chain saw W/ a 24 in bar and sharp blade. Run @ wide open throttle, cut tree horizontally @ ground level. Cut up as usual or drag tree off with your favorite Tractor to the burn pile.
Lastly paint stump immediately with a Woody plant Poison. Like Remedy & Dsl, Crossbow, or just Dsl alone!
Works 100% of the time here in Texas! LOL!
Well at least the first part does..., The Poison part 75%+
Later,
John A.

Dr. Walt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Notjustair:

Naw, vampires take Silver bullets. Just call the Lone Ranger, he has lots of them.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spike herbicide kills trees but not grass. It also can spread with
water, as can tordon. READ THE LABELS BEFORE APPLYING!

Jiles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OT--Tree Killing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just went out with my chainsaw and cut through the bark all around the tree. I then moved up and made a cut app. 8" above and then removed all the bark between.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.