Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brandon K.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: 1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been working on a JD B that I recently purchased. I took the breather cover off the crankcase to flush and clean the gunk from the crank case. At the bottom of the case I found the square coupler in two pieces. From what I can tell in the parts manual it lookslike the drive coupler for the oil pump. What is required to replace and install a new drive coupler? Are these common to breaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brandon

RLA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

they are made to break to save the oil pump &
shaft. I think everyone has told you to clean
the crank case out completly.. The oil pump
must come apart & the shaft must be aloud to
slide straight down far enough to install a
new couple or a repaird coupler. If it's broke
it's because I Ice in the crankcase or something
is lodged in the pump.. With all that gunk some
is lodged.. The pump sqreen should be checked
also for a larger hole. When Cleaned out the
crank case...

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First make sure that it is not left over parts from a previous repair.

If yours is indeed broken off right now then you will need to get a coupling and then drop the outer cover and shaft down to install it.Get a new gasket from Deere. I perfer a good used old style couplings so they can snap if ever needed to in the future. The replacements are heavy duty and likely won't give before the gears or shaft.

jdfun
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used couplers for sale . Contact me by email or call 573 535 8952. Thanks, Tom

Brandon K.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can some one give me some pointers on removing th oil pump and changing the drive coupler. I understand the cupler goes onto the pump shaft but what does the other side go on to? What drives the pump shaft? Thanks

donwisc

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are comfortable with having a coupler that wont brake, take an old 1/2 inch drive socket, smallest you got and grind off the socket portion leaving only the 1/2 in sq drive left. This is almost exactly like the deere replacement, but again only if you dont expect to freeze up the pump. Good luck

greenmech
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1942 JD Model B Oil Pump Drive Coupler Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The other end of the coupler goes into the worm drive on the camshaft. You may need a helper to guide the assembly together. Ron Mn.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.