Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Hose Diameter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morgan Flowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking to get some larger air hose to use with my Ingersoll Rand 3/4 inch impact. The impact has 3/8 pipe thread on the inlet and I see that most of the 1/2 inch hoses that I look at have 3/8 pipe thread ends versus 1/2 inch pipe thread ends. The hoses with the bigger ends are more expensive. Is it worth it? Will enough air flow through the hose if both ends are 3/8 pipe thread? Thanks for all the replies!

dpendzic
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don"t think it will restrict the flow much.
In recent years all our 1 1/2 inch fire lines have been replaced with 1 3/4 fire lines but retained the 1 1/2 couplings. The friction lost with these smaller couplings are negligible---similar to 3 inch hose with 2 1/2 inch couplings being negligible.

55deere70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 1/2" air line for my air tools including my 3/4 impact. Works good for me.

Morgan Flowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

55deere70 wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:10:02 03/20/13) I use 1/2" air line for my air tools including my 3/4 impact. Works good for me.

Thanks for the replies. Do you know what size the ends are? Some 1/2 inch air line has 3/8 male pipe thread and some has 1/2 inch male pipe thread. Thanks!

circus
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guessing the hole in that 3/8 fitting is about a 1/4", 90 cfm will flow through at 100 psi. Plenty.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It'll probably be enough... but more is never a bad thing. Really, if you're running long runs of line and using a 3/4" or might need a 1" gun, go with at least a 3/4" main line. You can step down with a 1/2" whip if necessary.

Rod

Sparktrician
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the same setup.....1/2" hose with adapters on the impact (3/4"). That works real well. I tried the regular 3/8" hose.....the same impact would not get enough air.....

Morgan Flowers
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Morgan Flowers wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:11:18 03/19/13) I am looking to get some larger air hose to use with my Ingersoll Rand 3/4 inch impact. The impact has 3/8 pipe thread on the inlet and I see that most of the 1/2 inch hoses that I look at have 3/8 pipe thread ends versus 1/2 inch pipe thread ends. The hoses with the bigger ends are more expensive. Is it worth it? Will enough air flow through the hose if both ends are 3/8 pipe thread? Thanks for all the replies!

Well thanks for the replies everyone. I decided to go with the 1/2 inch goodyear hose with 1/2 inch ends and Milton G style couplers. I may get to try it out this weekend. I have been using 3/8 hose with 1/4 inch couplers and the 3/4 impact wasn't getting nearly enough air so I'm excited to try it out!

jeff cat

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Hose Diameter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I used to sell compressers a long time ago...guys with remote shop hook ups and long hose runs used a neat trick. Take your portable air tank and hook it up near the gun as a "relay" tank.The tank acts just like your well water blader tank. Makes one heck of a differance! It keeps the pressure very steady and it gives the air hose a chance to catch up.jeffcat

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.