Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShowMEguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking for a bigger brush hog or even a flail mower for my newly rebuilt 1960 Ford 861. How big can I go to mow around this pond and say the waterways in your guys opinion? I plan on mowing it 2-4 times a year... Here is a pic of what I'm mowing nwo with my 2n and 5 footer.

Would a 8foot dual spindle brush hog be to much? How large of a flail? or rotary would you all recommend for that I'm mowing? I wanna go a big as possible to cut more of it....

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

an 800 will tote a 6' hog easilly. not sure on flail mower sizes.

7' will be tooo heavy.. and 8' is just getting too big IMHO..

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never had a flail mover but my understanding is that they take less
power per foot of cutting width than a rotary mower. Your 2N or
your 861 could easily power a 9' sickle bar mower, but it would just
lay the grass down rather than chopping it.
Zach

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stay with a 6' rotary or a 7' sickle bar.

Dean

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a 6 foot bush-hog style on my 861,I wouldn't go any bigger as in my opinion it would be hard on the pto driveline.

reb-in-pa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Six foot is as much rotary cutter as I would use. But, assuming that trees and reeds like to grow right down to the water's edge in Mo. as well as they do in Pa., I think you'll want the sickle bar for one pass around the shore, and maybe for passing across nearby soft spots that you'd rather not risk getting stuck in.

Good luck.

Ray

Rob Mo.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree that a 7' is too much for that 134 cu. to be powering.
We use our 660 with a 7' 501 sickle bar mower to cut hay in
the summer. We travel across the field is 3rd gear about
1300rpm. I'm afraid that a 6' might be too heavy for the cat 1
lift, not that I don't doubt it won't pick it up, but the front end
might be light.

ShowMEguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rob Mo. wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:50:12 03/20/13) I agree that a 7' is too much for that 134 cu. to be powering.

The 801 series has a 172cu motor.

ShowMEguy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 861 with fresh rebuild brush hog mower size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like I'm gonna need to try to find a 6 footer and find a used sickle mower... I hadn't thougth of a sickle for the pond bank.. been using the stihl on the parts I wanna clean up..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters