Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
map Puller
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok guys looking for some feedback. I currently have a 1500 Ram with the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 rearend with airbags and GN hitch. The truck is great and does all I want of it, but when towing I get 8-11mpg depending on my lead foot, GVW, and terrain. The truck runs daily and has about 60k on it in its 18months of ownerships.

Therefore, I have the opporunity to jump into a 2012 2500 with the 6.7 but have heard ALOT of mixed feedback on the truck. I am looking at a manual 6.7 with 3.73 rearend. I would keep this truck until I kill it which hopefully is a long way off. But I dont want to give up decent mileage just to get a more powerful truck.

So my questions:
1. What kind of mileage are you getting?
2. I know the diesel last longer than the hemi, but is there anyone out there towing with 100k or more on the hemi? Power loss?
3. General input welcomed.

What thoughts do you have to offer? I

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8-11 mpg while towing is pretty much a given. You won't do any better with a diesel unless you fudge the figures and lie about it. If the truck you have now is getting the job done, I'd keep it.

KYGarrett
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I own a 2011 dually with a 6.7, 3.73 rear, 6 speed, and 4x4. It was pitiful until I did all the deletes, and straight piped it. I get between 16 and 18 driving empty(my driving style is some where between balls out, and grandma goin to sunday meeting) and get 10 towing HEAVY, and 12 with light stuff. The most miserable thing about them stock, is the torque management system thats there to save the clutch. Trying to take off under a heavy load is nearly impossible. The ability to turn that crap off is what lead me to a tuner, better mpg, and less stuff to go wrong is just a happy coincidence. The exhaust brake is a major help to. Long story short if your getting by comfortably with your hemi, I would keep it, if you need a little more go for the 6.7, but im almost positive you will not be happy with it in stock/warrantied form. I voided my warranty at 347 mi.! Thats how much the torque management SUCKS!

chucksoliver77
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a friend of mine bought one about a year ago with the 6 speed and hasn't broke 12mpg empty yet. another did all the deletes and now needs a bigger clutch and really sounds like crap with the straight pipe and pi$$e$ of the neighbors with it, but now it gets good milage and has plenty of power, but the clutch slips. Chuck

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wow after seeing this ill keep my old 5.9, im getting 17 loaded and 25 now empty with 225,000 on it new aint necessarily better

Larry Baker
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2012 5500,gets 15 empty if you stay under 65 but you play you pay,Had five Fords and they are much better on fuel but I wouldnt want one of the new ones.Got a freightliner and a 9 spd in it and it 10-12 ,Good truck just need to get rid of it.I dont hear of anybody with these new ones doing much as far as mileage.Got a freind with a f350 and he does less than I and the same with the Chevy

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our neighbor has a 2003 or 2004 dodge 2500 with a hemi over 250,000 miles and still uses it hard daily, says its been great, and says its been pretty trouble free and still has good power, will never forget when he pulled a 24 row John Deere planter with it, he had the receiver hitch dragging on the ground, he pulled it the 8 miles though.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more thing, if your thinking of getting new or close to new, get the 2012, the 2013 will have diesel exhaust fluid, and the 2012 also has the high output cummins diesel with 800ft lb, torque. Either way gas or diesel will be good, it just depends if you think the diesel will suit you'd better, especially if you tow a lot, guess that's up to you, let us know if you get it, will be a good truck if its a dodge ram.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 2006 DuraMax a 2011 Ford and now a 2012 Diesel and they all get the same pulling a load and that is around 9MPG.If you can drive 55 they would get 15 + but anything over and 12MPG is about it.They all pulled great just too much power robbing pollution stuff to get any mileage.I know of older PowerStrokes and Cummings with controllers that get near 20MPG but that is 20 year old technology.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THE urea injection on the 13's is supposed to help with fuel mileage through fewer DPF regens.

You can't delete them anymore, the EPA came knocking on the doors of the people making the programmers. The ones who opted to stay in business ended up paying out over 3/4 million dollars for it, and are supposed to buy the tuners back. One company saw the fine and opted to close the doors. The new Smarty tuners are also programmed to reject the ME (emissions delete) programs, so even if you find someone who has the programming, you are SOL.

Next problem is the dealers. The latest computer flash from MOPAR disables the bootloader, which is what allows you to run a tuner. If you have an aftermarket tune loaded and they flash the computer, it de-tunes itself severely until you return it to stock.

The duramax guys I guess are going into the ECM physically to alter it, no tuner, no EPA problems.

The oil companies in North Dakota and Canada are trading the diesels off for gassers, in winter the exhaust can't get hot enough to do a regen, and why bother with a truck that won't run right for 1/2 the year?

You wont' find me in another diesel truck unless it is a 7.3 or a Cummins built before 2003.

And Ford owns Cummings. Cummins builds engines.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No ford DOES NOT own cummins, a lot of people think that but ford has nothing to do with cummins, look it up.

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford did actually own a small piece of Cummins. They sold it back to Cummins, and they now have little to do with each other, other than Ford using some Cummins engines in their commercial trucks. Quit with the Ram obsession. There are only a couple good things good about Ram.
#1-Cummins engine #2-Manual transmission. That means that the 1500 and gas 2500/3500 trucks are worthless, because they have neither

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes we know ford once owned stock, no more, and for the 1500, it has a hemi and the 8 speed, both good, for the 2500 and 3500 gas, the have a hemi, and there 6 speed automatic also a very good transmission, and to top it off 3 tons more towing on ford or Chevy, when comparing gas to gas or diesel to diesel, one other thing who else offers a 2500 that will do what a powerwagon will, that's right no one.

jddriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scot ford dont own CUMMINS notice it is Cummins not cummings

scot cee
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling 6.7 Cummings Owners Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Someone might go back and read the post title before they jump on my back.

And then re-read my last sentence in the post above.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters