Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

This Doesn't Happen Every Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriTownTB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ever have a guy stop at your house and ask permission to land a helicopter in your yard?

Harvey 2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never had any one ask permisson to land.
But several years ago when my nephew wuz in the army and flew the Appache helicopter he landed in my field and we talked a while, after he took off one of the neighbors asked, "what wuz that all aboot?"
I told them two solider boys were wanting to know how to get to Fort Knox

JD Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, had it happen right here about 1977. Copter landed in my front yard and stayed the weekend. I told folks that I had traded my car for it, lol.
I have a picture somewhere if I could find it, I'd scan it and post it here.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only in my dreams. I have my fixed wing license. It's a dream of mine to master the rotary wing. Problem is I'll have to sell the farm to do it! Then what do I live on?

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a tree cutter laying there. Are they trimming "powerline right of ways"??

TriTownTB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes they were trimming the high line right of ways and were hoping to be able to land in the area where they were working to refuel the helicopter and service the saw. I don't know if the pilot was nuts or great at what he did or a little bit of both but there's no way i'd try to land where he did. and the saw never drug an inch when landing or taking off. very interesting to watch.

Straw Boss
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Local Crop Duster back when (1970s-early 80s)used to use a helicopter and would land right on the back of a semi flatbed parked next to the field to refill spray tank or refuel. Never landed on the ground. Always thought they could use their skid to turn the page of a book if they weren't fighting a wind.
He also used an Ag Cat or Ag Tractor??? airplane for spraying sunflowers at night after the wind went down. Bright lights on the wings and a vehicle at each end of the field with a beacon on the cab top to line up on for each pass. After each pass the vehicle would pull ahead x number of feet for the next run. Sure was something to watch in the dark of night.

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes to both thoughts on the pilot. They're good and they're nuts.

Unruh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a helicopter spray corn for me one year. I never had a better job of Ariel spraying. He backed right into the corners, sprayed right up to the fence lines and the down-wind of the rotors put it right down between the rows on the weeds. Wonderful job compared to the fixed wing experiences.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a local that sprayed with a helicopter. He would rest one skid on the supply truck bed and balance while they refilled the tanks. One day he lost it and did a lot of damage. It turned out that the guy was 80 years old!

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a local copter pilot try to take off from a trailer about 15-20 years ago. on of the skids caught, copter tipped, rotors hit the ground and killed him. Maybe not a good idea?

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1-Upper. Navy exercise in the Bell H-13 was to use a bottle opener taped to the skid to pop the cap off a coke bottle standing in a pipe buried in the ground.Takes about three broken bottles to do it. Edit those out!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="tritowntb"](reply to post at 13:12:05 03/21/13) [/quot

When I checked into my hotel room in Marietta Ohio last April There was a helicopter very similar to the one pictured here parked on the front lawn. I watched him take off the next morning. It was open cockpit and only about 45 degrees. I didn't envy him at all.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The local forestry service has come by a couple of times with a small helicopter equipped with a bambi bucket to get water out of my pond. Both times were in the middle of the night.
I guess it must be eaiser to fight a fire with a helicoptor at night than a fire fighter trecking around the woods in the dark.

Nothing like getting woke up at 2am with a helicopter 20 ft off the ground in your yard.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: This Doesn't Happen Every Day Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years ago a neighbor of mine was in the barn doing chores when he heard a racket outside. He looked out the north door and there sat a little helicopter in the field just north of the grove. A couple of guys were walking through the grove toward him. One of them asked the neighbor if they could buy a little gas from him. He sold them ten gallons or so and then they asked him where the nearest airport was. He told them Storm Lake was the closest one. The neighbor asked them where they were from and they said Minnesota and they were headed for California. After the conversation they got back in the little chopper and flew away and disappeared into the distant skies. Jim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters