Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

fresh questions and pics bearing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nylon4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok,

Thing that saved me is that the set screws were not tight enough and the collars were free. I did the king kong smash on a block of wood on the floor...well not quite king kong and it blew apart. If those set screws were tight I would have been in trouble. Those sets have been spinning free on that shaft for long enough and probably hot enough to smear the screw metal and the collar metal. I will try the heat cool here in a bit. I see that the collars and the bearing are offset..see pics. one side thicker than another. When I reassemble should I anti seize any mating surfaces? Also should I find fresh set screws? Worried about getting them tight enough to hold and also being able to loosen them next time bearings need change. Should I anti seize them or not?

nylon4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should mention that I'm pretty sure the front PTO on the 790 spins at 2100 rpm

nylon4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! Got the set screws out. Reassembled with old bearings to figure out how it goes back together. Wont put new bearings in till actually get a blower.

The only thing I don't understand are the concentric collars and bearings. I assume that they are rotated against each other till they are snug then set the screw. What I am seeing is that the bearings dont sit perfect flush in the flangets. Maybe the reason for the concentric is to somewhat align that suspended mess. The problem I think is that both ends have concentric sets and both "float" in the flangets. How do you get them aligned for 2100 rpms without them binding each other? I do see that someone fought over it before as there are drift holes a bit further around the collar from the set screws that have been buggard up. The set screws are quite small and I can not believe that they can be torqued enough to hold with that small of a hex wrench.

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The eccentric collars lock the bearing to the shaft. Tighten the collar the same direction the shaft rotates to keep it from working loose. Tighten it with a hammer and punch until it won't tighten any more. Do not use never seize as it will prevent the lock collar from holding properly. If the shaft is worn the bearings will not be perfectly straight and will wear the flanges as they wobble when in use.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll add to what Cliff stated that the locking collar has a blind hole to set punch into so as when punch is struck will bind locking collar to brg.

It's been a long time since I repaired anything with locking collars but I was thinking collar should be tightened opposite direction of shaft travel.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It"s a good idea to go with new lock collars.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the old days when I was repairing combines off the service truck, I had a "lot" of experience with flange bearings and lock collars, I had 2 sets of the "Lewis Bearing Pullers", Big Lou & Little Lou, they were a life saver, I still have them but since I parked the service truck the combine repair has came to and end,,,and I don't miss them a bit :^)

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can clearing see how it works...the internal collars rotate against a concercentrate surface just enough to space the bearing out in the housing then you want to bolt the end cap on. These bearings are similar to disc bearings with the end plate holders. They will somewhat center in the bearing plate when in use but I would get them close. I think the main thing to do is get all the parts clean and surface clean. I would then reassemble your actual bearings are sealed. But one thing to remember is to check this periodically not just when it trashes out like you found this one. I think this thing is just a connector hanger and may allow some offset alignment. Kinda think it physched you out and you are reading more into it than it deserves. Good luck.

Sledjockey
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you look closely at the bearings the only offset in the center of the bearing is where the locking collar attaches. The hole in the bearing is perfectly centered to the outside of the bearing. Check the opposite side with a mic. I was taught to tighten the collar in the opposite direction of shaft rotation. Set screws do not have to be overly tight to hold if you tighten the collar very snug.

nylon4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info once again. I think new locking collars are needed. Not sure why the collars are needed. It feels like both ends of the shaft are tapered. The bearings only go on so far. And the bearings are held inside of the flangets on either end. Then the whole package is squeezed within the black holder tube with the three long bolts. I can see where the collars have been boinked with a drift to tighten them up before set screw as there is a partial hole intended for that purpose in the collar. Will have to hit up TxJim see if he can find those collars and ship.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John
The reason for the locking collars is so shaft positively can't rotate inside the brg's inner race which if shaft rotates in the brg it would eventually wear out the shaft. The looking collars should be readily available at any good brg retail facility. JD8554 ECCENTRIC LOCKING COLLAR, COLLAR-LO ADD 2.12 USD

Last edited by Tx Jim on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
nylon4020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These collars were loose and spinning on the shaft. Do not know for how long. I did run the shaft through the wire wheel on bench grinder. The bearings slip on each end to a point then don't seem to go on any further which seemes to be the correct placement. Are these shafts typically tapered or is it worn? I thought they were tapered as both ends seem to be equal. And figured they wanted an easy slip over the splines.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: fresh questions and pics bearing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shaft should not be tapered. Brg's should slip on to correct location and then be locked to shaft with the collar.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters