Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jndrgreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone ever move a two cylinder around with the steering shaft out?

I have the tractor broken down to paint and I need to move it outside my shop to sandblast some of it.

This out to be fun. Any suggestions or is it better just to put the pedestal back together temporarily.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have done that with Farmall, just have someone walk along the front wheels and turn them.

MoMark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, you can have somebody go along and kick the tires to steer them as you go. But I made a tow bar that bolts to the two holes at the bottom of the pedestal with a pivot joint and a tongue. I can hook on to a tractor and tow it around without a second person and it follows perfectly.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a hitch set-up that bolts to the 2 holes in font of the roll/matic, sorta looks like a short wagon hitch, that works well for this.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I moved tricycle tractors all the time by myself with the help of the 4020 and 158 loader. I'd scoop the front wheels up into the bucket,roll it back,wrap a chain around the pedestal and hook it onto the bucket with a little slack this was a safety chain in case it decided to roll out of the bucket.Worked great. I would even load and unload them from the trailer this way.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is how I loaded a dead 8N Ford a couple years ago..

Pathand
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pick the front wheels up in loader bucket, tilt bucket back and drive backwards. Best with bobcat/skidldr. I've even loaded tractors onto traialers whit this process.front wheels of tractor turn with movement of loader

Jndrgreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. I was wondering if it was possible to maybe take a steel bar and "guide" the front tires along. It sounds like it is.

I don't have a loader, so maybe this will work. I'll give it a try anyway.

Jndrgreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Backhoes sure come in handy, don't they?

lyric
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That seems to work the best, I rebuild a '49 B for my daughter, it was stuck when we got it & had to be pushed in & out of the shop countless times. When it was all done I did the same thing, built a hitch on the roll a magic. You have to pull the steering shaft or the gear on the top of the pedistal but I'm able to take her through the parades with one of the other tractors. Hers is a flat plate & square tube welded together, then I have another piece that plugs into the square tube so they can get pinned together.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here"s a pic of mine..

lyric
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine would look simalar, from old scraps at work. I have a 2" ball hitch on one end, the main bar is a solid 2"x6" that"s drilled for the hinge like yours. Then the other side of the hinge is 2" square tube that I put slugs of 1 1/2" bar in at both ends, the hinge end only has enough bar that the bolt won"t wear, while at the other end has a stub sticking out so it will plug it the part onto the 2" on the tractor. Actually just brought the tractor to my dads tonight behind the truck, tows easy, colvers were a little hard on the truck though. I"m thinking of building an adapter for the none roll a matic, aswell as one for going over the draw bar of a dead tractor. These will make things a lot easier & more uses for the hitch. Sorry I don"t think I have any good pics of the hitch. Works great & made from scrap metal. Kevin

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine is kinda light duty, I would never move one on the road with it, it"s just for moving around shows and at home.

Jndrgreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Moving a tricycle with the steering shaft out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well, we were successful. It wasn"t all that hard really. Thanks for the ideas though everyone.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.