Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antifreeze in cylinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndeereman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jd A got antifreeze in cylinders nothing in oil runs fine after antifreeze is drained from cylinders. Is getting it in both but considerably more in #1. After 24 hours had just a lil in it just enough to make a mess on hood. This is a high compression engine. My question is how do I narrow it down between gasket,head,sleeve? I"m thinking it"s the gasket. Blew one 3 years ago and know a guy with similar engine that has to replace his about every 2 years or it blows. It"s obviouse I need a gasket to tear it apart but don"t want to waste a gasket if there"s more to the problem. Don"t know anyone around here that magnafluxes.

gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every single machine shop magnafluxes.

awchevy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not every machine shop magnafluxes there bud. Some resource it out. Ive seen that allot were im from.

JDGnut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the manifold off, spark plugs out and plug the bolt holes for the manifold.. Take the upper and lower pipes off.. (or water manifold)Pressurize the head and block.. and Look in the intake and exhaust ports and in the cylinders.. If you have a scope, even better..
I just put a plate over the lower.. and built a fitting to put in the upper... and then set a pressure regulator to about 10 psi..

Last edited by JDGnut on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
48farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"d be afraid of any machine shop that doesn"t have the tools to Magnaflux. They"re not that expensive, there"s no reason they shouldn"t have it. I have my own.

As far as spending money for a head gasket, they"re only about $23 at O"Reillys. Tell them you want a FelPro 7744SBX. They"re usually next day for me (in po-dunk).

deerelure
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brian, Steve"s Machine on 409 will Magniflux it for ya. Give him a Call 746-3150

CLIFF S
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if it's your head gasket I would make sure that I put new studs or bolts in when you clamp to back down!

Cliff S

Kelly N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know from experience that the head bolt nuts leak if you don"t put sealer on them and around the head openings for them. There isn"t any pressure on it but they sit and seep. If there"s a crack, it will show up with magnaflux

Kelly N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"m wondering if the antifreeze isn"t actually gathering in the cylinder head ports since none makes it past the rings into the oil. It sounds like the head should be magnafluxed with the valves out to see if there is a crack behind them. You mentioned "sleeve. If the block is sleeved, it is very possible it is leaking at the top of the sleeve also.

Hard one to diagnose I"m sure

johndeereman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I"ll order a head gasket and tear it down to see what there is to see. Running short on time since pulls start in 3or 4weeks.

CLIFF S
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't Forget some new studs to hold it Together!

Cliff S

gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its literally a magnet & a cup full of iron powder!
(??)
You can do it at home with a hardware store magnet & some grinder dust. I cant imagine anyone farming it out- how could that pay?

gtx1967jewison@yahoo.com
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Antifreeze in cylinder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you realize its $500+ for new studs?
They're $50 apiece.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.