Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Track Length

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABandi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My club is considering shortening from 300" to 250" for a track length for antique pulls. I was wanting to get some input from other clubs and pullers on what they use and prefer for track length and reasons why.

Thank You,
Alan Bandi

fsc puller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I prefer the shorter tracks, it makes the pull go quicker.

ABandi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is one of the big reasons I'm pushing for a shorter track.

piston
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

save fuel

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like a long track, but we don't have many around here. The putt putts take an awful long time on a 250 foot track, but you would like to see the fast ones going for a little longer. Put the putt putts on a short track and everyone else on a long one LOL.

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the sled operator knows his sled, and the competition is tight, then there's no reason not to go to a shorter track.

But if the sled operator is trying to stop them by 225' and he doesn't get the sled right, you could go over the 250'

Also if your competition is widely spread out, if you are stopping the hot tractors by 225', the more stock tractors will be dead by 125'. Not much of a pull for them.

Rowdy 63
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a tractor pull. Don't punish everyone else because you have something else to do. If I have spent the time, effort, and the fuel to get there, I sure don't want to be short tracked. I wouldn't be back after that.

wc puller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Abandi if you want to save time tell the club that jumping 500 pounds from class to class isn't a way to save time, this would help more than cutting 50 feet off the track, everyone else does a 1000 pounds

brentp4455
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A LOT of people dont feel like throwing 1000 pounds at a time.

1PULLER
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My problem with the 300"track @ our club is that we pull speed limit. Our sled starts with the box behind the axle and pulls with no load for the first 50" or so. That means that the first 50" is of no value and when the box does go over the axle you get a surge that will put you over on speed. Also we say it is a 300" track but many time we have pulls that are well past the 300"for the whole class. With that being said, ( for antiques hotter classes are different ) add stops to the sled to start the box over the axle, and whatever the length of the track stick to that length. Could you run with a 250" track and as long the pull is less than 300" let it ride? The problem I see is the number of hooks over 300"

DK44H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt shortening the track 50 feet will save any measureable amount of fuel. If you are tractor puller I don't think you are overly concerned about saving fuel in the first place.

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Showcrop,

Since you've brought it up, I, tongue in cheek suggest that the JD crowd get together the week before and pull off to find the best 3-4 and send them to to represent the JD brand. Sure would speed the pulls up. Hey guys, remember Showcrop started it , I'm just piling on.

All in fun, I respect all the old iron, regardless of color, they are what fed us and and our kin before us.

mEl

ABandi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a very strong point that quite a few of our members have said to me.

Dieselbear
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be glad you have what you do, we only pull 160 feet

Kip-Utah
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Track Length Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is not in the spirit of saving time as it may create a few more full pulls and possibly make you do a few more pull offs...however for someone that has never had the thrill of making a full pull you have created the opportunity for them,and in my oppinion this is good. We pull a 250 ft. track all the time and our sled operators manage to have most classes pulling in the 180" to 225" range except for the very lightest classesthat are in the 135"-150" range.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.