Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lessons Learned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Lessons Learned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was in the garden Sunday laying out rows & trying to beat the rain. Of course, that's when you always have an equipment failure.

Tractor is a 1950 8N 6v frontmount. The distributor was off less than 2 months ago for routine maintenance (points lube, gap, timing). The coil is about 5 years old because the threads had stripped on the OEM coil.

After about 30 minutes of work, the tractor suddenly lost power & began to backfire. I got it back to the garage.

My first thought was a points problem....despite the fact that they looked fine a month ago & are Bluestreak.

So rather than confirm that the points were indeed opening & closing by observing voltage drop.......I got in a hurry. I've got a spare distributor on the shelf. Pulled the distributor off the tractor, installed the spare distributor & hit the starter button.

Nothing.

No spark.

Opened up the distributor that I took off the tractor. It looked perfect.

Went in the other garage, took the OEM coil off of the trailer queen & put it on the tractor.

Started on the first revolution.

Lessons Learned:

1. ALWAYS follow the correct diagnostic procedure!

2. Coil failure is not always dramatic, i.e., like turning a switch off.
75 Tips

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons Learned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wish I could work on the garden. Right now it is laying under 6 inches of global warming. We are significantly ahead in moisture for the year. Will take a week or two of sun and wind to dry out to where I can disk it.

01BIRDDOG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons Learned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are in a better part of the Commonwealth than me. We have about 1.5" and snowing now. I usually have mowed the yards two times by now and worked at least some in garden.

Money Pit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons Learned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

...and just as important: lessons shared. thanks now all i need to do is remeber and heed the advice!

L B,

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons Learned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its like alot of stuff, ya site you rifle in put 5 or 6 rounds dead on, go hunten see that buck put 3 round into the air completely miss and he walks. Or the pilot whos is flying fails to use his insterments as he was taught and flys by his sences pulls up and drills the nose into the grown. It happens to all of us.

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Lessons Learned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you got'er running!

I doubt there's a guy on the board who hasn't cut a corner or two when under the gun. We all know we shouldn't, but...

Colin

Curtsat15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lessons Learned Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish we only had 6 inches of global warming. My garden is still under about 2 feet of "white gold", as the snow haulers around here call it. Our local excavator companies have had a bumper year I tell ya!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.