Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since the change over I have to log out and back in every time I come to the site. If I don't then things will not work correctly when posting or editing.

I have my browser setting to always accept cookies from your site. I even went in tonight and lowered the security setting to allow more cookies to be stored.

This seems to be effecting features when I post and the high light effect on read posts. Posts I read several days ago are still highlighted but the ones I just read an hour ago are not.

It seems to be a cookie cache issue.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What browser are you using? I changed from Firefox(unable to download photos on YT with Win 7 pro) to Chrome and have to clear history regulary or all I see is a bunch of numbers/letters.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TxJim I use IE 8. I have tried others but many of the sites I go to will not work very well on Firefox or Chrome.

I have not had that many issues with IE over the years. I am not a computer person so I try to keep it simple.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure what would cause that, I'm not seeing it. Since it's IE, the only major issue I've seen lately is that Privacy Slider (Privacy Options) feature they put in that messes with cookies. I know it will outright block our site if set to high, but maybe if it's on and set to low, it will clear the cookie after each session. That's the kind of behavior other browsers do with their privacy options. The normal idea is not to block cookies, but just clear them to make sure no one can know what sites you are browsing too. Seems to be two different definitions of "privacy" in that respect.

I'll do some research later today.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is really weird is that when I go into a Discussion like "Tractor Talk" it may have like one or two post marked as read. Even thought I have read them all. Then if I go to another Discussion and come back to Tractor talk all the posts that I have read maybe marked read that time.

It makes keeping up confusing right now. I depend on the post marking to keep tract of what I have already read. I maybe not on the site for a day or two and remembering where I was at would be impossible.

I get very frustrated with computers when they quit doing the very simple things. I do not need my computer to do back flips so to speak. Just keep it nice and simple. The KISS axiom works well.

I paid extra for a new computer to still have XP as the operating system. The newer ones are JUNK!!!! Vista and 8 both will lock up on 2/3s of my programs.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the problem you are having is that while you may have had .ytmag.com listed as a cookie to allow, .yesterdaystractors.com isn't. Or maybe it's the entire host name on your browser. If so, then it changing ytforums.ytmag.com with forums.yesterdaystractors.com or on Classic changing www.ytmag.com with www.yesterdaystractors.com.

Another one to look at might be your bookmark. Make sure it's not still using the ytmag address as the entry point. That causes our server to do what is called a rewrite, and that is an imperfect way of switching the domain you are browsing to.

Like I said, I'll research it later today.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris You do what you have to do. I am in no HURRY at all. You have more important stuff to do than hand hold some old man that is just about computer illiterate. LOL

Here is how the address my home page and favorites uses.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi

If that is the issue just let me know at your connivance.

You and Kim keep the business churning out work and don't worry about me.

Unlike you guys I am semi retired and just happened to have some time this morning. My kids/wife say I am something that rhymes with retired. LMAO

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm semi-retired too, that's why I can work on YT. Problem is I have to put YT aside for taking care of my dad these last couple of years. I'm not complaining, far as I'm concerned a man who fought in WWII deserves a lot of "taking care of", no questions asked. Wink It just keeps tossing monkey wrenches into work. I'll work on this after I get him to his doctor appointment. I'll be back after noon.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris I looked an my favorites and Home page button where using two different YT pages to access the sire.

My home page button was using:

http://yesterdaystractor.com/ttalk/wwwboard1.html

My favorite menu was using:

http://yesterdaystractor.com/

I now have both set to:

http://yesterdaystractor.com/

I do not know if this was causing the issue or not. Would those two different addresses cause the site to respond differently???

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Log in and cookies Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, that could cause it only you want:

yesterdaystractors.com

rather than

yesterdaystractor.com

Both are us, but the primary name is now yesterdaystractors.com with the s on the end. There are several names for the site and for casual browsing all are just as good as the next, but for continuous forum access, it's best to stick with the primary name. If you hit a page with a secondary name, it's not going to keep track of where you've gone when you come back.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.