Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

welded rods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDguy1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are you guys thoughts opinions on welded rods? Do you just butt the two ends weld it and call it good? or do you box them in? Any pics?

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have some in our Allis Mazda big end and big block Ford small end. Just butted together. Kieth Merfield welded them. I had them straightened, balanced and cryogenic (put them in a freezer with liquid Nitrogen in a oven and heated them to 350 I think)Did the entire engine with it apart. That was 10 yrs ago. No problems, but I do think about it, and go real easy on the motor. Vic

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw a butt weld rod break on a F30 at idle and it wiped out the block manifold & carb.Many times & stood beside that tractor to adjust the carb. I thank God I wasn't there that day. Boxed rod only!!!!!!

Ray Tellin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you remember how much you had in them compared to a billet set?

Josh Blackburn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on your engine. We have put some good size g's together welded boxed rods. One 840 cube with 12 to 1 compression. All of our personal big deeres are welded rods. I built a good size B for a gentlemen in NY and it has welded rods not boxed from top to bottom, he turns it at around 22-2300 rpm or better. There's some vids on YouTube. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=78qAAhvcFFs&feature=plcp. That being said I have had succes with welded Rods. If done correctly they will hold. I've seen non boxed Rods in a 883 cube g. So far they have held but I wouldn't want to be on the seat. What engine are you trying to build? SiZe and rpm are a factor.

Josh Blackburn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uok7XZ4zJdw&feature=relmfu

jdth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve had welded rods in tractors for over 10 years. The success of the welded rod depends on who & the process the rods are welded. I also have seen welded rods break, ironically, the rod broke slightly (about an inch) up form the welded area. The tractor was just idling at the time. Billet rods are a great direction to go, but not necessary in all builds. Just my opinion.

Pete Petznick

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CAP Bros Motorsports has a variation that is stronger than butt welding and lighter than boxing.

Email or call
Pete Petznick
Capbrosms@gmail.com

Mopar-Harris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oopppsss did not rrealize I was not signed in.

CAP Bros Motorsports has a variation that is stronger than butt welding and lighter than boxing.

Email or call
Pete Petznick
Capbrosms@gmail.com

baldwin racing
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my rods would cost me $375 to get done if i supply them and they just get welded.....vs billet ones $1,200

JDguy1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its a smaller G using 4020 and G rod, would you box around the weld or box the whole rod?

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At the time Billet were $1000 Keith Made the rods and stroked the crank to 5.75 for that. It cost $300 to freeze it. Friend at the speed shop balanced and checked for straight and length for free. Keith had already done that they were fine.

Gary Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would you even think of using welded rods. Good chance of breaking and injuring you or somewone else. Billet rods are cheaper in the long run.

DAVE Thompson jr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with what Gary Baker said. Buy a good set of billet rods and do it correct. With the stroke people are putting in engines and the rpms I would only use the best. I find it hard to believe that Josh Blackburn is using welded rods in his engines. I know the guy who taught him to make stroker cranks wouldnt have used welded rods.

Travis M
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: welded rods Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sold a tractor to gary with welded rods in it which he can tell you what happened to it. No more welded rods for us

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.