Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MF 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brendon Warren
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found a Massey Ferguson 25 diesel along side the road the other day It was all there except the oilpan and the caps off of the connecting rods. Its a four cylinder diesel, the guy there said it was a 101 motor. I was just wondering if this was a rare tractor or if parts were available as I had never run across one before.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Post this on the Harry Ferguson forum too. I ran across one last summer, I forgot what the details of these are, but the thread will be in the archives of this or HF. The back half is impressive, don't know about the front... I have bad luck with diesels... got any pictures?

Chas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is a true MF25, should have Perkins 4-107 engine, 2x 4spd gearbox. Nice little tractor but spares can be hard to come by US Side. search on the photo"s section for pics. Not too common in US.
It is the base tractor for the MF 130 and many of the spares for that are the same.

Brendon Warren
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I had some pictures mycamera phone takes crappy pictures. She was anice looking little tractor, moss is growing on it, but it looked really straight not a dent on it. It belongs to the guys son and I left my number but from the looks of the place they've never parted with anything.

Brendon Warren
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might be acanadian tractor I live near the border in upstate Ny,so its a possibility. My uncle bought a Super 90 over there and I followed him over the bridge when he drove it home.

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was built in France.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is the same as an MF 130, they aren't a desirable tractor. For not much more money you could get the bigger 135 and have a way better tractor.

Masseynut(Australia)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If this tractor has engine problems...best to leave it in the paddock.
The engine was only one of the problems with these models, along with brakes, hydraulics, etc.
These 107 engines never had enough power to pull the skin off the top of custard, so if the conrod caps are off...walk away!
My two cents worth,
Evan.

DavidP, South Wales
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Brendan,
Evan and the others have summed it up, the Perkins 4.107 in the 25, 30, and 130 can be big trouble. The 4.107 engine in the small numbers that were sold had something of a reputation of throwing con-rods out through the side of the block. In later years nearly every purchaser went the extra pounds and bought the far more solid and reliable 135.
The problem with the '107' was largely attributed to bad engine breathing causing the oil to gel and ceasing to lubricate. And possibly in some cases very poor servicing.
My Bepco parts catalogue shows a 25 and 130 with a 23C engine but I am sure this is incorrect. Only small-end bushes are listed.
If the caps are missing you will of course have to fit 4 complete con-rods if you go any further.
These smaller tractors were suitable for many European enterprises and playing fields etc but the 135 was a better horse by miles.
DavidP, South Wales

Brendon Warren
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well that sounds about right, the guy at the farm said it put a rod through the block but I couldnt find a hole. I wondered if he meant the base. Its such a neat looking little tractor though.I guess I'll stick to my 65's. Thanks for all the information. I doubt they'd sell it anyway, but its sure fun to look.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally found the pics of the 25 I ran across last year. Nice little rig. I like the way the 'arsend' was built. It is an original owner, bought at the dealership it was being serviced at. Perkins in these I guess? Got to admit, if I ever run into another 25, for sale... at the right price... I might attempt to own another diesel again... maybe....
I bet Sparex will have everything those engines need... maybe

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember during the 1970"s the agent from our local MF dealer (Who was a Massey Maniac, to him no other tractor mattered!)telling me that if we saw a 130 for sale walk away very quickly! Apart from reliability problems even way back then getting certain parts was difficult.

Masseynut(Australia)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe Tony, but...alas...no.
None of the aftermarket manufacturers as well as AGCO want much of anything to do with these "little gems".
The best source of parts is another 25, preferably in better nic than the first. Best to make your next diesel, one of the better renowned models,

Evan.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Blimey Evan, if you say there are no spare parts, I am certainly not going to doubt you! After all David tried what all his Perkins connectings and networks, all the dead ends on this side of the pond... and the only pieces I found to get the 212 petrol going again were in a parts yard in Canada?
So... perhaps... I should wallow in misery with my quiet..clean running.... quick starting... smoke free.... Continentals...

Brendon Warren
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: MF 25 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its too bad they wont let me into Canada. There's a big boneyard right across the bridge. Those Perkins start quick enough my 65 diesel drove itself through the garage door this winter!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.