Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBinOk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wanting to know if anyone knows if the 400 an 450 propane heads are the same? Was going to look at a tractor that was a factory propane and they dont know if it is a 400 or 450. thanks!

baldwin racing
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the 400 and 450 ran the same lp head. they ran the same gas head also....

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just so you know not all 400 LP tractors used the same head as all the 450 did. First type 400 LP used a gasoline combustion chamber. After a serial number break the 400 used the same one as a 450.
Regardless of the tractor it pays to see if the original type head is still there if that's the main interest.
On the left of page, click parts and pieces, then in the search box put 450 LP head. Click on 450 LP head when it comes up. You should be looking at the head used on 450 LP and part of the 400 LP. Look at the shape of the head above the ports. Only head IH made like that that will fit a C-248-C264 or C281 block. Simple to ID even if the hoods on, if you can reach up and feel.

Last edited by D Slater on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
F20Puller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would check the parts book on the above post. Neither the LP or the Gas head was the same on the earlier 400s as the later 400s and 450s.

F20Puller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now i'm doubting myself, i will have to look in the parts book next time i'm at the shop.

baldwin racing
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sorry I was not talking between the diff years I ment what ever year one 400 was made to that year 450....sorry did not specify clearly

BBinOk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 400 an 450 propane heads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help. I just clicked on the parts an pieces an can see what u mean as to the shape. If I was to buy the tractor for the head an tires would I be able to replace the head with a gas one an it run ok?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.