Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: 318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently moved up to a 318 Deere mower from a 140. I moved up a whole 9 years Smile. I LOVE the powersteering on the 318, and the hydro of the 318 is much smoother when changing directions than the 140. The 318 also turns sharper. The 318 handles like a dream! I've driven the newer premium Deere mowers but still prefer the 318.

My only complaint with the 318 is the speed of the hydraulic deck lift. I raise my deck at the end of each pass to turn. I stripe my zoysia grass. The 140 would raise and lower quickly while turning. On the 318 I have to stop and wait for the deck to raise and stop to wait for it to fall. It is slow to fall and slow to raise. Is there any type of adjustment or is there an orifice in-line somwhere? If there is an orifice where is it located? I'd like to ream it out a touch.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't believe there's an adjustment or orifice in the system. Are you steering, at the time the deck lifts or lowers slow, using some of the charge pump's output for other than deck movement? I also have a 318, and I guess I have never noticed much difference in hydraulic function speed vs. a 317 or 140.

New hyd filter?

If there REALLY is a "slow hydraulic" problem, it could also indicate a weak charge pump, or a leak in the hydro itself, so the charge pump is constantly replenishing the oil in the hydro circuit.

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You set the deck height at the back of the tractor not on the deck wheels. If you have the lift set right it barely moves, so it will lift fast. Poke around over at http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/61368.html?1340668569
Untitled URL Link

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just thought about one other thing that might cause trouble,on the lift cylinder at the rear of the tractor there my be a valve at the hose. The valve is installed to stop the lift when you have a blade on the front, it really takes the delay out of the front remotes, if it is still closed it will slow down your lift too.

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, my other hydraulic functions work well. The hydro itself is strong, quiet and fast. The powersteering seems to be fine as well. The steering is smooth and very easy. I never get any feedback through the steering wheel regardless of what other hydraulic functions are being used. I do sometimes use the PS while lifting/lowering the deck but steering doesnt seem to really change the lift speed any. The deck lift speed is the same even if the tractor is sitting still without the PS being used. Engine speed has no effect either. It lifts just as fast at idle as it does at WOT. I havent put it to the stopwatch but I bet my 140 lifted and lowered the deck in less than half the time of my 318.

I did not change the hydro filter when I purchased it becase it had less than 100 hrs on it.

I'm wondering now if my mower has the "lock out valve" that 504 speaks about. I had the fenderdeck off of it when I first purchased it for a general "look see" and to service the driveshaft zerks and clean the hydro cooling fins. I dont remember seeing an adjustable valve. If my mower had the valve I'm guessing it would be on the inlet or outlet of my deck lift cyliner? I'm invisioning a needle valve with a knurled finger nut. Is that what it looks like?

Thanks for your input and thought...

504-1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is just what it looks like, right at the rear lift cyl. I really think you are moving the lift cylinder all the way through its stroke and it only needs to move three inches or so. Make sure that the other lever is centered, if it is stuck off center it will bypass oil and slow down the lift too. I have a 332,318 and a 430, all use about the same system.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 318 Deere hydraulic function speed adjustment? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cylinder may be bypassing internally.Also you can shim the hydraulic outlets on the hydro to get more pressure and usually that'll speed it up too.
As said already check the lift valve or switch it to one of the aux valves to see if there is a change

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.