Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solar 8N

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Solar 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What will they think of next. We all need one of these. No more buying gas.
Solar 8N

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some folks have a LOT of time on their hands !

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't want it 'cause it'd never run! At least that's the impression I get from all the charging issues people post about on here Smile Smile

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That tractor came up on the Ford board the other day. Judging by the responses there I doubt the tractor will sell soon.
Click Here

William Fissell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Solar 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The energy density of solar is a little low yet. However, tractors seem to have three major characteristics: torque, weight, and reliability. Electric does pretty well on all three (think diesel-electric locomotives).

The main issue is whether batteries can equal the energy density of chemical fuels, and the answer as yet seems NO. Diesel has about 36 megajoules of energy per liter of volume, and lithium batteries have about 8% of that, and lead-acid another tenfold lower than that.

I could see a smallish tractor with a 15 horse DC electric motor driving each rear wheel, or, better yet, as part of each wheel, and about 1500 pounds of battery in the not-too-distant future. No need for hydro for continuously-variable transmission; no frictional losses in clutch, tranny, differential....

I wouldn't scoff at folks thinking down these lines, even if a pilot implementation seems unworkable.

Texas!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Solar 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first time it was posted it was listed on the Austin,TX craigslist, now it's listed on the Springfield,MO craigslist. That tractor sure travels fast on batteries!

Walston
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Solar 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

William Fissell wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:40:01 03/31/13) The energy density of solar is a little low yet. However, tractors seem to have three major characteristics: torque, weight, and reliability. Electric does pretty well on all three (think diesel-electric locomotives).

The main issue is whether batteries can equal the energy density of chemical fuels, and the answer as yet seems NO. Diesel has about 36 megajoules of energy per liter of volume, and lithium batteries have about 8% of that, and lead-acid another tenfold lower than that.

I could see a smallish tractor with a 15 horse DC electric motor driving each rear wheel, or, better yet, as part of each wheel, and about 1500 pounds of battery in the not-too-distant future. No need for hydro for continuously-variable transmission; no frictional losses in clutch, tranny, differential....

I wouldn't scoff at folks thinking down these lines, even if a pilot implementation seems unworkable.

I certainly agree that we don't want to scoff at innovation. It was only 70 or 80 some years ago that Ol Henry was likely scoffed at by some horse farmers.

They are still pretty far away, but making progress. If you like this kind of stuff you may find this interesting. I work for one of the Sponsors. http://www.solarimpulse.com/

As it should be, there is no Government funding.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.