Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1750 Oil Filter Leaks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaMnd

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi:

Several years ago, when I acquired this tractor, the first thing I did was to change the filters. When I changed the engine oil filter I noticed that the previous owner had two rings. I took them out and replaced them with one new oil ring and then I found out why there were two. I could not tighten the canister enough to seal the base. That explained why the bolt head was showing sings of being rounded.

Fortunately I still had a good undamaged old ring so I add it and snug the canister down a stopped the leak. Only trouble is that it takes a lot of force to seal the unit. Question I have is how do I fix this problem?

So I am thinking I have the wrong canister or the wrong bolt. Canister looks original and matches the tractor color. Also when I look at the filter I can see pressure at the base of the filter and at the top indicating the canister is the right length. So, do I have the wrong bolt? Can anyone confirm what the bolt length for this filter should be? Mine measures 9 and a quarter inches from the top of the bolt to the bottom of the tapered tip. Bolt head is a quarter inch to the actual length of the bolt to the tip is 9 inches.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PaMnd

oliver90owner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shorten the bolt if it has enough thread (add some more, if possible) or washer the bolt outside the canister. Trying to overtighten the bolt will only lead to failure.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could always put a base on for a spin on filter and avoid all that trouble. For a 1750 there are 2 routes, one is to replace the whole base from one that had a spin on filter. The other is to buy a conversion adapter that ends up using a large filter for an Allis Chalmers. I've got that one on our 1855, which with the oil cooler base it's not as easy to just swap the filter base.

Short answer though, is something is definatley wrong with your filter setup. As has been said a washer or 2 on the outside would probably fix it.

Donovan from Wisconsin

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago there was a change in the bolt, like maybe almost 40 years ago. I was thinking some of the bolts were too short.

PaMnd

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi:

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will try washers first. Although I think I will need 3 or 4 depending on the thickness I can find.

Are the spin on filter as good as the sock filters?

PaMnd

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Horse a peice in my mind. More people stock the spin on's though, if you don't have a dealer near by. One thing with the sock filter, is you see imediately if there's any metal shavings in the filter or not. You'd have to cut open the spin on type.

Donovan from Wisconsin

PaMnd

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Donovan:

Thanks for the thought. I did find a local store which has ready access to the sock filters and since I like the idea of seeing what the filter catches I will try to fix the current setup.

Can you ever have metal shavings on the sock without have major engine problems? I remember in my early days of using a magnetic drain plug to trap the metal filings from cars but it was never considered serious until there was lots of them.

Thanks
PaMnd

PaMnd

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi:

Just wanted to post an update on this thread.

I was successful in locating two spacer washers (about twice the thickness of a thick washer) which were had smaller holes than the bolt used by the filter. So I drilled out the hole to match the bolt size. Then I took an old plastic sheet (the kind the kids use to toboggan on) and cut out four gaskets. Put it all together and started the tractor up. Leak is now gone and only one oil ring gasket needed for the filter. I use the tractor all of May with no hint of oil from the filter.

Thanks
PaMnd

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1750 Oil Filter Leaks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad to hear you found a fix

Donovan from Wisconsin

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.