Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: 42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello All,

I had to remove the hydraulic control shaft on my 41". 9N and ever since it doesn"t stay up , like it did before. As I recall the plate did not want to release and it took a long time before it did. That was 6 months or so ago.

I did get a friction pad, but the center hole is too small for the shaft. Also, there is 1-1.5 inches of in and out play with the control shaft. I am wondering if the original removal of the control shaft and plate had streched something to cause the play.
I would appreciate any help with this and once I locate my camera I"ll put a couple of pictures up.

Happy Easter, William

William S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I located the camera and posted 2 photos. The shaft has abt 1/2" of play, as shown in the photos.

William

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a shoulder on the inside portion of shaft that keeps it from coming out, but relies on the friction plate assy to keep it from going back in. Sounds like the "too small hole" is the problem.

William S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You JMOR, I'll make the hole bigger and see if that solves the problem. I'll add a couple of extra washers, so that the castle nut will be at the same level as the hole in the shaft, for the cotter pin.

I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something that would be obvious to those at this forum.
Thanks for you time spent on helping me.

William

Bill Rowles
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: 42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There should be a spring under the nut too....was it there and unbroken?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

William S
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 42'- 9N Hydraulic Control Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was looking at the picture provided above and mine does not have a spring or a cap nut, rather it has a castle nut and cotter pin.
I did put the friction pad in and am able to almost completely stop the lever from moving. Then I adjusted out until the drag was enough to hold the level up when needed.

Thanx, William

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters