Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

O/T this bothers me

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
notjustair
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I needed to go to Menards in Topeka. Two windows I had ordered were in. I also needed a new "a trouble light" as I broke mine yesterday adjusting the governor on the M. You know, the hand held plug in lights with the hook on them.

About two blocks from the store I noticed a homeless gal with a black dog. Kinda made me feel bad, it being Easter and all. That is, until I was leaving and saw a man there with a brown dog HOLDING THE SAME SIGN! I have seen on the news how sometimes that is a racket and people are bringing in lots of cash. I just have never seen it so blatant. Must have been shift change.

Am I the only one that calls those "trouble lights"? We always have. Was that a brand or something?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I call them trouble lights.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, we always called them "trouble lights" in my neck of the woods. I guess it is because you can shine the light5 on the "trouble spot". I have also heard them called "drop lights", which pretty well fits me, 'cause every darned time I use one I drop it and have to replace the bulb!

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I called them trouble lights for 70 year; now they are called work lights. I guess you need a light if you are going to work in the dark - but you probably wouldn't work in the dark if you didn't have trouble!

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They have been called trouble lights here in s.w. Pa for at least 60 years.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 5 on the word "light", was a typo! And in some areas they are called "work lights".

gtractorfan
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple times lately there's a guy standing near a big box store intersection with a sign saying he's hungry. I've thought it would be fun to get him a fast food sandwich, but the intersection where he's been is busy, would have to stop some traffic. Don't know if he's legit...

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found these small 9 LED flashlights work well as trouble lights. Can easily put near your work. Very bright and don't have to pack around a cord. Batteries last a long time and they are not Hot. They seem to have their place.

GlenIdaho
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There"s no doubt there are scammers out there taking advantage of others. But, there are now many families that are homeless and can"t get work. If this couple was legit then cudos to hubby for giving his wife a break. If scammers, shame on them, they shall reap their rewards.

HenryO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also call them trouble lights but then I"m older than dirt.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I call em drop cords too. The worst were the retractable drop cords. You would crawl under a car with the dang thing, then the spring would decide to randomly reel itself back in and then break the bulb. I use the cordless leds now.

Hoofer B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eat the dog.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trouble lights here also. I finally got sick of getting burned, and got a new style LED, or whatever it is, battery powered one. Good thing too because I was just using it yesterday while adjusting my truck clutch. Had to give up and tie it up right over my face. (After it fell from where I had it perched and whacked me in the nose and eye).

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure those scammers had luxury sleeping bags at their home under the bridge. Seen them change shifts when working on a draw bridge. They also save alot by doing laundry in the river. Spoke to one girl [homeless] who was quite intelligent. Never asked how she got to be living under a bridge. Always called those lights drop lights.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: O/T this bothers me Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've always called them a drop light, but have heard them called both work and trouble lights also.

I've got a customer in Raleigh, NC that talkes about an old guy that stands, or used to anyway, at the top of one of the interstate off ramps holding a sign begging for food, etc. Customer told me he that on several occasions he would hit the ramp at just the right time and see a fairly new, high end, car pull up and the guy would run over and hop in. Seems like panhandling is pretty profitable.

That said I watched a show a few years ago where they looked into the profitibility of panhandling. They went to various cities, various types of places, and made up signs saying different things. In every case they were makign more money just sitting there asking for handouts than the average minimum wage worker makes, and it was all cash. The most profitable sign wasi something like, 'Will work for beer', or something off the wall like that. Those signs got people paying more and, in several cities, had people asking to pose with the guy for pics.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters