Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 800, PTO engaging problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philcoinms
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last fall while i was Bush hogging the pto jumped out of gear.. when i engeged it i noticed it did seemed to want to stay in gear.. Now it will make the grinding sound like it is barely scrubbing but the lever is all the way back..

I replaced the pto this spring but still wont engage.. Can someone help explain how to check the sliding sleeve and replace it.. can it be done from the top?? .. Thanks for the help ..

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

800 as in what model?? May help us help you. I would start by pulling the inspection plate off that has the PTO shifter and have a look so to make sure that the lever is moving as it should and also to see if you can engage the PTO by hand with the engine NOT running for safety's sake

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a nut at the end of the shift rail assembly that might have work loose or the detent ball may have a flat spot on it, groove and or spring may also be worn. Check in your parts manual to look up the parts and numbers if you need them.

Kirk

steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Phill, i have the same problem and it hapened while bush hogging as well. sorry i cant help as i havent solved my issue yet. i have replaced everything except the housing and the shifter rail. i have a thread about my problem...it may help you.

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=895468&highlight=

-greg-

Philcoinms
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YES MINE IS A 860

Philcoinms
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok three questions
Can I repair the PTO shifter without removing it?

If I remove it do I have to break the tractor in half
"?
and Is the Shifter the same for the N series and 800

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

philcoinms wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:06:26 04/09/13) ok three questions
Can I repair the PTO shifter without removing it?

If I remove it do I have to break the tractor in half
"?
and Is the Shifter the same for the N series and 800

As old already said, you should pull the round plate off the left side where the PTO shift lever is to see what you've got first. You may be able to fix it without splitting the tractor, but we can't tell you for sure until we know the exact nature of the problem.

And no, the shifter on the 800 series is not the same as on an N series. They function in a similar fashion, but the exact parts and layout are different.

steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hows it coming Phil?
Got it fixed yet?

Philcoinms
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

took the side cover off and was able to slip the PTO into gear manually but still doesnt seem to be far enough.. also i worked the shifter back and forth several times and was able to engage it but barely.. and clues?... bent fork?? I fear if i attach the bughog i might mess up the new shaft

sotxbill
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

philcoinms wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:12:38 04/15/13) took the side cover off and was able to slip the PTO into gear manually but still doesnt seem to be far enough.. also i worked the shifter back and forth several times and was able to engage it but barely.. and clues?... bent fork?? I fear if i attach the bughog i might mess up the new shaft

go to pto shaft and grab it and see if it pushes in and out. May have a bad retainer clip or housing. this will allow the shaft to move back away from the coupler.

steamnjn23
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my PTO slip collar was wallered out from years of use. i bought another one, used, but the fork lands are cut about 1/4" shorter (toward the rear) and it doesnt engage completely onto the input shaft. so Im back into it again.

the good thing is if one takes off the lift cover he has room to work and replace plarts.

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than another slip collar?

Ed M
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

steamnjn23 wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:43:58 04/15/13) my PTO slip collar was wallered out from years of use. i bought another one, used, but the fork lands are cut about 1/4" shorter (toward the rear) and it doesnt engage completely onto the input shaft. so Im back into it again.

the good thing is if one takes off the lift cover he has room to work and replace plarts.

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than another slip collar?

I have the same problem,bushhogging and would jump out of gear on occasion till one day would not re engage.Have not had time to pull my side cover and look but at least I have a starting point. Is there a good parts breakdown for this ? Tractor runs real well and only has about 500 hrs on new egine.

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800, PTO engaging problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New Holland Parts may be able to help with an exploded view.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.