Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tedder to rake conversion?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhilyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Tedder to rake conversion? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys,
At the end of last haying season I baled a field without raking, and my NH277 with the Super Sweep pickup did a pretty good job of picking it up. Could have been better, but not bad. The tedder spread it just a bit too wide.

It got me thinking - what if I modified my two-wheel tedder to add a curtain (or two curtains) to limit the spread of the hay, then it would still be a wide swath for drying, but not too wide for the baler.

In western PA I usually ted twice anyway to get it to dry down faster - if the curtains were adjustable, I could spread it wide the first time, then narrower the second. Again, we"re not talking about making a real narrow windrow like a rake.

Has anyone ever done this? I have a Galfre two-wheel tedder.

495man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tedder to rake conversion? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jhilyer wrote:
(reply to post at 12:32:44 04/03/13)

Seems to me you could get "raking guards" for the older Kuhn 2 rotor tedders to do exactly what you are describing.

Look at a "Hay Bob" style tedder/rake for an idea.

JOCCO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tedder to rake conversion? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have one of those tedder rakes. Most people was not satisfied with them as a rake. You are suposed to change the teeth angle to rake with them. I don't bother and it does ok. it has two cages. We use it for back up or for small fields you can do this but probably your yield will be down.

ed will
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tedder to rake conversion? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,
When I was a kid, we had a machine called a "Wuffler". It was a drum with baler like teeth that spun around and picked up the hay like a baler but faster and it was all in a shroud that kept the hay contained and as it flew out the back it hit 2 doors. You could open one door and keep the other partially closed and it would leave a medium windrow or keep both doors open for wider or put both doors partially closed for narrow windrow. It worked perfect. Even in thick heavy clover it was great made drying time much faster. Point being 2 doors is a great idea. This machine was made by Bamfords of England. Ed Will

Formerly PaMike
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tedder to rake conversion? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an older GRS tedder/rake combo. The new version is the Kuhn Haybob, as someone stated below. In ted it spreads the hay all out, like most tedders. In rake mode it made a fluffy windrow out the back. The guides in the back can be set to make it narrower or wider. When it is raked like this, and there is a breeze the hay dries very well because it is up off the ground. It is NOTHING like the windrow that a roll-a-bar rake makes. When I made small squares it was one pass with ted, then the next day fluff up in rake mode, then bale the 3rd day. Now, since I use a round baler I need bigger windrows,so I use a bar rake to push more windrows together.

jhilyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tedder to rake conversion? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great info guys! Thanks!

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tedder to rake conversion? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

god, i've not heard of one of those in years!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.