Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Model A power lift piston cup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve in Tennessee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Model A power lift piston cup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I started having problems with my power lift this afternoon. It will no longer stay in the up position. I suspect the leather cup has a hole in it...again. That happened a number of years ago. I was just wondering if there is a better place to buy the cup (A626R) than from mother Deere. They want about $60.00 for it. I an not even sure that is what the problem is, but I would like to have the parts in hand before I take my tractor out of service.

The Dukester
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Model A power lift piston cup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had about the same trouble a few years ago on my '48 GW and it turned out to be the gasket between the valve body and the rear cover had a chunk blown out of it. I would raise the plow and it would settle back down to the ground in about 15 seconds after the lift handle had snapped back to center positiion.

Brown county
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Model A power lift piston cup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not try a3956r and a3957r ? $15.58 and $4.83 at john deere.

Steve in Tennessee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Model A power lift piston cup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I am hoping that is not the problem. It is more work to get to the cylinder head gasket. But I have one one order just in case.

Pete in MD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Model A power lift piston cup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve,
Pulling the piston out and checking the cup is a fairly easy job. If the cup is bad, then you can order a new cup.

If your piston cup is okay then remove the check valve(s) and clean and inspect them while you have the valve box on the bench.

Then put everything back on the tractor and see if the rockshaft will stay in the up position. If it doesn't, you'll have to pull the complete rockshaft housing to replace the cylinder gasket.

One other thought, have you checked the oil level in the valve box? Oil leaking by the piston or check(s)valves will stay in the valve box and the oil level will not go down. Oil leaking by the cylinder gasket will run into the rear end and the oil level in the valve box will go down.

Good luck.

Pete in MD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Model A power lift piston cup Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brown country,
Steve said the piston he has uses a leather cup.

The two parts you mentioned are used on a different style piston and will not work on the piston Steve has.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.