Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a JD 450B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pecosallis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What should I look for? the elderly man that owned it had the transaxle rebuild and they updated it at that time due to the recall. it does not have a turbo so it is an earlier B 70"s model. It had the backhoe attchment but the present owner doesnt want to sell it now. Anyway do these units have alot of problems with them? He says you have to pull a little harder on the right than on the left to turn and thinks it may need a right clutch ($?)? also he said the front idler bearing cup needs replacing ($?) the owner stated he purchased it to build an access road thru his property for his neighbor and he had no problems and didnt have to add any motor oil or hydraulic oil, it runs very well and pushes alot of dirt he claims. Just been sitting for the last year in his yard, just wants to sell it because he needs the $. What could be a good price for it? what should I look for?

Pecosallis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OOPS forgot to ad photo

John730D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you should look for is a clear path to run away as fast as possible. That machine is a money pit.

marloweg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

take John730D advice

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

second that. It is 40 years old & parts may not be available or very expensive & hard to get.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would be alright to play with if you have money to thro away . Do not go out and pay the guy 10 thousand for this old tractor but yes if you can get it in the 3500/4500 dollar range can,t loose too much. I am doubting it is a B model, No ROPS makes it really old. As some say 40 year but parts are no problem from John deer.

DGH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They were a good machine in there day, but are 40 years old now. For a farm machine it would be ok IF GOT FOR A GOOD PRICE like under 5K. Most parts are available from JD and there are lots of used parts around. Check the bolts that hold the frame to steering clutch housing. and transmission to clutch housing. Also front crossmember to frame and track frame bolts. Those were trouble spot on those machines.
If those are aLL GOOD THEN IT MAY BE AN OK MACHINE. GOOD LUCK.

Pecosallis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well thanks for all your help. I decided not to check out the 450B. I guess I will try and find an AC H3 or H4 to use because even JD mechanics that responded to some questions said the AC"s are cheaper and easier to find parts for. Its all good because yesterday I was operating my AC Model D motorgrader, the stabilizer arm broke off the moldboard and slammed the moldboard to the side and bent the hydraulic cylinders. So now, that money I will use for repairing them. They are bent about 15%. Do you think I can have them straightened/repaired and I wonder if it will be better to find a couple of good ones instead of straightening them out. Any way thanks for all our help and advice.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a JD 450B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Won't hurt to try and straighten them as long as who ever does it knows what they're doing. Good idea to put a piece of brass or aluminum on the shaft so you don't get a flat spot from pressing.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.