Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1939 b won't start, low comp.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eriklane
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

60-62psi cold on all cyls. Tractor was pull started last week and past summer, does run. Gas flowing, but couldn't get a spark.

Do these have cylinder sleeves? Cost?

Sounds like it may need a magneto-cost?

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

60 psi is low. Yes they have sleeves.Rebuilt mags go about $235

Eriklane
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suspect it may need points or something minor, or coil. More concerned about the sleeves. Can I do it by removing the pan and head and hood, doing it with the rest of the tractor intact?

WHat's the cost of sleeves?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those number are low but could well be as simple as sticking rings. I would fill the cylinder with ATF and let it sit a couple days. Also as for the mag they are not all that hard to work on if you have the manual which is also easy to get. To get a manual just send me an e-mail and tell me which mag it has. There where 2 common ones used by AC and I have both manuals on this computer

Eriklane
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not mine-I'm considering it. It's a '39, crank start, nice tin and paint is good, needs a rub out, tires good, and comes with sickle bar, he wants $1000 firm. I want to get rid of my 8N which is more $ than I really need nowdays. I just need a mower, really, and can pull a cultipacker if I want.

I did my sleeves on the 8N, but, it was lot of work. B's are simpler. But, that price-if it were $750, I'd take it, I think...

What ya think? [img]

Last edited by Eriklane on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

60 psi is a bit low, unless it has distillate pistons in it. Even so, it should start ok with that much compression. I would start looking at the mag and carburetor as the source of your problem. Hot spark and gas make a huge difference in starting. My old 2 cylinder Deeres start in very cold weather on about that same compression. As Old says, the low compression may very well be due to stuck rings, especially if the tractor hasn't been run much or worked enough to get up to temperature for a while. Maybe just a good workout will help a bit.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is not a C o if it is it has a B wide front on it. The C only came with a trike front and the B with a wide front. Many years ago I had a B that was hand crank and it was the very first tractor I ever rebuilt the engine on. The sleeves are wet sleeves and can be doe with out mach work. I did all the sleeve seals on the C I have and it did not take a lot of work or $$

MoMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

C's were available with wide front ends as well as single wheel front ends. The rear wheels were 5 bolt dished where as the one pictured is a B the standard cast rear wheels. The 5 bolt wheels were a option on the B with a adjustable width front end also. Mike

dej(Jed)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$750 is plenty for a B...

Kip-Utah
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

C was sold as a standard tricycle,single front wheel, and adjustable wide front. We have one of each. In our part of the world wide front Cs are more common than the the tricycles. Kip

Eriklane
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 b won't start, low comp. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a B obviously...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.