Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

First day of 33rd year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Today is the first day of my 33rd year, of milking my own cows. Back in 1981, there where lots of dairy farms around here, now not so much. There where few tractors over 100hp even fewer 100hp fwd with loaders, and all most no big round bales. And all the square bales could be picked up by a teenage kid. Some things have changed a bit. But milk still comes out of the end of a cows teat, and you still half to squezz it out twice a day. Bruce

The Red
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce congratulations for surviving that long in the milking business!

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you started in 1981, wouldn't this be your 32nd year? I'll be 33 on the 22nd of April and I was born in 1980...

Bruce from Can

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well lets look at it like this. I was bornDec 24 1960, so I just had my 52snd birthday, and I am in my 53rd year . So if I started dairying in 1981 ,1982 would have been my second year, would it not? And while you will turn 33 this April, I would think that this will be your 34 th month of May in your life time. Bruce

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About time for you to retire then. 33 years on my own was about as long as I could stand it. Dad milked here before I did and his Dad before him,but 33 years was enough for me. If the boys had wanted to keep going,I'd have done it for them,but it's a slow death if the next generation doesn't want to do it.

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As he stated this is the "first" day of his 33 rd year. He has completed 32.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any prospect of parole?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Congrats on surviving in a very tough industry.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Time to drop the 100K on a Lely or deLaval robot milker!

Sean Feeney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bet you you never really get a birthday gift, just a early Christmas present. Being your own boss for all those years good or bad means something, if nothing else.
Sean

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Parole was denied once again, due to insufficient funds.

David Snipes

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grew up on a small dairy. As an avid milk drinker, thank you for your hard work!

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have not milked cows for a living since 1987 and miss it some. What I miss more is the lifestyle of the family farm. I worked for the same people for almost 10 years and was one of the family. I can, in my mind still smell the sweet smell of cows,feed and milk on a cold wet fall night...can't think that happens in todays freestall operations. Keep up the battle Bruce, Bob (also from Canada...Ontario even!)

Bigdaddy4430
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive been milking my own since 89 retirement crossed my mind more than once.My 20 yr old came to me last summer and stated he wanted to come home.Looks like retirement is on the back burner for now.I guess as a parent you do what you gotta do to get the next generation started

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congrats Bruce, that's a lifetime of labor and love. I pray I may make it so long. Keep on keepin on!

formerly ny bill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: First day of 33rd year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you feel like a survivor? we started milking on our own farm in may of 1980. there were 7 farms along the river in the 6 mile stretch between towns. now there are 2 of us left.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters