Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opinions needed on 300 TA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stemmy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: opinions needed on 300 TA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey all, bought this (1 owner) '55 300 the other weekend, (Good T/A, NF, Non PS, Fast Hitch, Belt Pulley, Good rims, Ok tires, doesnt smoke, good oil pressure, 6 volt... I'll post pics).

Starting to do some maintenance to it. Engine oil and filter change, no bad surprises, Axle seals were shot so I replaced them, had to replace an outer bearing on the left side, drained the differential and as I figured it was calf crap yellow so I'm gonna flush it with kerosene before I put new oil in. Also gonna swap rear tires from my H and put on it.

My main question... the T/A in this tractor works almost perfect, but the clutch pedal could use some adjustment. Do you guys think I should re adjust the pedal for correct play and then readjust the T/A linkage or just leave it alone?

I know the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" but what do you all think?

oh and BTW I paid $1600 for it...

Last edited by Stemmy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions needed on 300 TA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The clutch/TA probably do need adjusting.But buy a
book first and do it RIGHT.Nice lookin' tractor.

Stemmy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions needed on 300 TA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DeltaRed wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:41:55 04/08/13) The clutch/TA probably do need adjusting.But buy a
book first and do it RIGHT.Nice lookin' tractor.

bought a manual the day after I bought the tractor lol, I read up on how to do it, just wanted some input and opinions. Thanks.

Last edited by Stemmy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: opinions needed on 300 TA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you need to adjust your clutch and TA clutch to keep them in working order. The book is helpful for lots of things but not for the TA adjustment. You need to search the archives for TA adjustment or clutch adjustment. With the pedal all the way down both clutches are disengaged. The TA clutch needs to engage before the main clutch.

I tried seaching the archives but couldn't find it today. Janicholson and the tractor vet schooled me on their procedure to get it right. I had trouble shifting after I did it by the book it was because when the clutch pedal was down the TA clutch was not disengaged as it should be. The 60 years of wear in the linkages is why you can't use the book procedure for the TA adjustment.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: opinions needed on 300 TA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I adjust a worn set of linkages so that the pedal releases the shifter when pushed down 1/2 the distance to the full pedal travel from the place where the main clutch begins to move the tractor. As the vet said, set the master clutch freeplay, (1.25 inches from the platform measured at the point where the pedal arm touches the platform. Next, tape a wooden 12" ruler next to the clutch arm so it sticks out forward past the pedal about 6 inches. With clear space ahead of the tractor, put it in first direct, and let out the clutch slowly. as you begin to move note the location of the beginning of tractor movement on the ruler (the number doesn't matter, it only allows you to know where the clutch starts to move the tractor.)
Stop the tractor, and mark that spot on the ruler.
with it shut off, and looking at the ruler, note how far it is from that mark, to fully pushed pedal. Set the TA clutch so it releases at 1/2 that distance. this setting allows the pedal push to release both clutches when pushed (correctly) to its travel stop. and assures that the TA clutch is fully engaged before the master clutch begins to move the power into the gears. Jim

Stemmy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions needed on 300 TA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the correct procedure, I'll try to check it out and get it adjusted this week/weekend and let you know If I have any issues!

rhtx55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: opinions needed on 300 TA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The manual is pretty clear on the adjustment procedure. It will take a time or two to get it right.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.