Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian part sources?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkeller8n
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Canadian part sources? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 8N that I purchased last fall that needs a new starter bendix. I will also be needing a few parts here and there over the next year as I work on it. I'm wondering where everyone purchases parts from? Is there a good source online that will ship to Canada? Has anyone had luck with parts off of ebay?

Also, my tractor is a 12V conversion, how can I tell if I have a 12V starter? Since I need to replace the bendix anyways, would it be worth replacing the entire thing with a 12V starter if the one I have isn't already?

Thanks,
Justin

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian part sources? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Justin........NO 12-volt starter. That is one of the principle reasons to convert to 12-volts. The original 6-volt starter spins FASTER and does NOT hurt the starter motor. As fer yer starter Bendix; gitta modern "clutch" style Bendix. It don't kick-out when yer engine koffs. While our sponsor "Yesterdays-Tractors" sells good 8N/9N/2N parts, they no longer seem to want to ship across the border to Canada. ...but... they still have a good on-line catalog with pictures for the reading challenged. .........Dell, a 12-volt advocate for the right reasons; who knows 8-ways to convert to 12-volts and they all work the first time.

Curtsat15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian part sources? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to your local JD dealer. They now own A&I. An aftermarket parts source for all brands.

Paul in Edmonton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Canadian part sources? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You already got your answer on the starter...

For parts, you can use just 8n's, as they will ship to Canada. Unfortunately, their online ordering system won't allow you to select the postal service, so your choices are to ship UPS (which means paying their obscene customs broker fees) or place your order over the phone to request postal shipping.

UPS Broker fees on my last order were somewhere around $70--I think it's a percentage of the cost, so YMMV. These fees are included if you do the air shipping, but the price difference between air and ground was more than $70 on that order.

Broker fees when handled by Canada Post, last time I paid them (it's been a while since I've had a shipment by post that was big enough for them to bother collecting it), was a flat $7.

Take your pick. The guy at just 8n's assured me that I could get postal service by phoning in the order, but I haven't tested that yet.

Either way, you have to pay the GST on your order (and presumably PST/HST if you don't live in AB) on top of the broker fees.

-Paul

jkeller8n
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian part sources? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I believe that the bendix that was on there is a new style one, I'll look for the same type. I pulled the other half of the metal shield that goes over the spring out of the engine tonight, anything else missing from the old one? It's hard to tell from the pictures in the online catalogs and I don't want to leave any other broken bits inside.

Think I'll try calling just 8n's tomorrow just to see what sort of shipping costs there might be. I checked my local supply co and they said they can get me one for about $55.

heybusdriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian part sources? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Justin , I don't know where you live , I use
Just8N's @1-888-355-9937, thye they you pretty
good , I am lucky enough to live close to the US
border , I always use a US address, drive down and
pick up my parts @ Point Roberts Washington ,
while I'm down there I also pick 2 -6 pks &
cheaper gas. I have found before as soon as as
anything shipped to the Cdn border, shipping
doubles and then GST & PST adds a lot. I bring my
purchases to the border , show them what I bought
& what I paid , they never charge me anything .

Stan
9N 222933
2N with 8N motor 8N345567
8N 146710
8N 179555
8N 197904
8N 199000
8N 254079
8N 362039

8N Ren
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadian part sources? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New Holland dealer near by? Maybe a generic tractor parts shop?
It can get very spendy ordering from the south. I did that once. Got dinged twice for shipping, once on each side of the border.
Only way I'd do it again was if I were to pick up at a US P.O. box. Good luck part hunting.

Ren

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.