Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter Ring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterworth Farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"m going to have to replace the starter ring on my 9n. I haven"t really researched the best way to get at it yet. I was just wondering, is there any thing else that I should take care of while I"m that deep into it?
Thanks, Bryan

Waterworth Farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or if anyone has any hints on making the job easier that would help too.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is wrong with the ring gear that you have to replace it?

nebken
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I chnged mine a few years back. The gear set down in a groove. I had to heat it and press it off. When it came off the gear was all bent and twisted. You you put it back on, you will have to heat it very hot and then spray water on it to get it too shrink tight on the flywheel.

I have changed several case and farmall gears. My 9n was the hardest one to change.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last one I did I put the flywheel in the freezer over night and took the new ring gear in the oven turn it to 500 and let it sit till the oven said it was up to temp. I then pulled the flywheel out of the freezer and set in on the floor in front of the oven and pulled the ring gear out and roped it on the flywheel. It dropped on so easy I thought it was going to fall down to far

Waterworth Farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Teeth worn off so the starter is spinning. I pulled the starter and i could see the teeth on the flywheel gone.

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you split the tractor to replace the ring gear, check the clutch and pressure plate. Replace the pilot bearing and the throwout bearings and replace the seal in the front of the transmission.

I drilled two holes and then hit it with a chisel and big hammer. broke right off. Heated new one with rose bud torch and slid it right one. one side has bevels on teeth, they are for the starter gear teeth to mesh with. Put on right.

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You've already received a pretty good list of other chores to take care of while the tractor is apart.

As for the actual ring replacement, many will say heat the ring up in the oven first. That method is not available to me....wife won't hear of it.

I tried heating it with my oxy-acetylene torch, but it's hard to get it uniformly hot....I ended up having one part hot while the other parts got cool.

I finally had good success by building a small fire in the outdoor firepit, then putting the ring in the coals after the fire had burned down some. After about 15 minutes in the fire it was glowing hot all the way around. I picked it out of the coals with a couple of channel-lock pliers and dropped it onto the flywheel.

I've also heard that a gas barbecue grill will work, but I haven't tried that yet.

mhb@ufe
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To remove the ring gear I stand the flywheel up in a vise and cut the ring gear with a hacksaw as far as I can without cutting into the flywheel and than use a chisel to split the ring gear. To install the ring gear I hang it on a prybar and go around it with a torch until it juast starts glowing red then drop it on with a pair of pliers. I then use the pliers to spin the ring gear until it shrinks onto the flywheel. This method has been used at the dealership I work at since before I started here in 1979.

Mark

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do not put water on a hot ring gear.Cooling it fast will stop the shrinking process.You will end up with a loose ring gear.

magpiene
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just clean everything real good. Set the flywheel on the floor or bench, use your rosebud and heat in circles until it drops on. Or wait until the wife is gone for a bit, and sneak into her oven.... THEN DUCK WHEN SHE FINDS OUT. Do not ask me how I know!!!!!

Waterworth Farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like your wife must know my wife. I don"t understand why they can"t see the sensibility in using kitchen appliances when rebuilding equipment. I mean it"s a new ring, right? Not like it"s covered in grease already. Oh well.... that probably should be the beginning of a new post.

W_B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Ring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:26:33 04/10/13) Last one I did I put the flywheel in the freezer over night and took the new ring gear in the oven turn it to 500 and let it sit till the oven said it was up to temp. I then pulled the flywheel out of the freezer and set in on the floor in front of the oven and pulled the ring gear out and roped it on the flywheel. It dropped on so easy I thought it was going to fall down to far

Bet your wife liked that act! Laughing

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.