Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PTO noise in first reduction gear area.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan Kapp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: PTO noise in first reduction gear area. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was using my 630 with a Lely broadcaster tonight and noticed that when the PTO shaft is engaged, their is a rattling in the first reduction gear cover area. It sounds almost like a piece of metal is being bounced around when the PTO is spinning. It does not make the sound if the PTO shaft is not turning - even with the handle engaged. Quiet all other times. Tried searching the archives but not sure what to look for. I"d like to get this fixed before mowing season...hopefully. I"m prepared to remove the FRG cover, just need to know where to go from there. Thanks all.

Nate

Tyler-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: PTO noise in first reduction gear area. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my experience this gear rattling is something that occurs in the bevel gears on the PTO drive. I've had a few 720's that did the same thing. It was always worse when I turned to the right I think...but it might be to the left. The chattering sounds horrible, but I think it comes from when you're turning the maximum angles on the U-joints and it puts more feedback through the driveline.
It's not a fun fix to say the least. You could remove the first reduction gear cover to check the play on the bevel gears, but to replace the bearings you would have to seperate the axle housing from the main case and perhaps even remove the transmission shafts. If you go in there be prepared to find all sorts of other things like chipped gears and tranny shaft bearings. Think $$$$

Best of Luck,
Tyler in IL

Nathan Kapp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: PTO noise in first reduction gear area. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tyler,
Thanks for the advice. It does sound like what you"re describing. Not audible when not under load; only when equipment is hooked to the Pto shaft. I"m preparing myself for an expensive bill- just wish I knew a good 2 cylinder mechanic in southeast pa. I"m thinking martins tractor.

Nate.

Tyler-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: PTO noise in first reduction gear area. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The repair isn't something that requires a ton of technical know-how, just lots of dirty cothes, a few special tools and TIME & $$.

Nathan Kapp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: PTO noise in first reduction gear area. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea. I'm confident I could do the job. But time is what I'm short on...between getting married in 2 months and being a large animal vet.

G Austin in WTN
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: PTO noise in first reduction gear area. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nathan, You may have already checked, but if the PTO shaft yokes on your PTO driven equipment aren"t indexed it can cause chattering. I had this happen when a shaft was assembled 90 degrees off. It made a terrible rattling in a 4020 transmission. After reassembling the shaft correctly the noise in the transmission was gone.

Nathan Kapp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: PTO noise in first reduction gear area. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I believe the angle of the Pto had a lot to do with the noise. I hooked to my baler yesterday and there was no noise. I have a friend who used these tractors when new and said they did this when new. As was already mentioned, turning will cause more noise. I'm going to have a mechanic come listen to it when I start mowing this spring. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Nate

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.