Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TO-30 Questions.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Del Huebner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just purchased the TO-30 that I posted about a couple of weeks back. I do not have it home yet but hope to within the next week or so. My friend that I bought it from had his brother (who is a mechanic) repair the hydraulic lift, the steering and the gas tank. All that is needed right now is to replace the cracked manifold. He has a new one but did not get it on. I have read in the archives that the gas tank will probably need to be removed to get at the nuts and even then can be a challenge to remove. My question is where can I find new nuts if I need them and what size are they? I also want to replace the front tires and rims with original size, as you can see these are huge that are on it now. Do the front hubs look like original? Will get some better pictures when I get it home and I am sure there will be many,many more questions.

trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep they look wright to me(hubs)i think the manifold bolts are standard size you can match them up any were that has bolts. not sure of the tire size 4" someone will chime in if i'm wrong.

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congratulations, Del.

I think both the TO-20 and TO-30 came with 4x19 tires, with 6x16 tires being optional.

You mentioned replacing the manifold - something about the manifold on your tractor doesn"t look quite right, anyway: there"s an extra clamp, or something, on the manifold, above the muffler clamp.

Let me know how the manifold work goes, as I need to replace the manifold gasket (hopefully not the manifold itself) on my TO-20.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem with the replacement manifolds is the casting is thicker and once you get a nut started you can"t get a wrench on them to tighten them up. You will have to take a grinder and grind away at the runners on the manifold to get the clearance you need. Tom is right the TO30 could be had with 4x19 or 6.00x16, although it seems that most TO30"s were ordered with the 6.00x16. I"m looking at the rear rims. Those aren"t TO30 rims. I"m not sure what they are off of but it looks like the rear tires are too big for that tractor. What size are they?

Del Huebner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what that is Tom, will let you know and get some more close-up pictures when I get it home.

Del Huebner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jason, The tires are brand new, I think they are 14.9X24, I do know they are 24's. I would like to trade them for a new pair of 11.2X28, wheels and all. Thanks for the tip on shaving some off the new manifold.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought they looked awful fat. 11.2 or 12.4 is fine as they were both options, but a 14.9 will suck some power out the engine plus it will make the ground speed faster.

Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good idea is to use brass nuts when replacing the manifold , much less chance of problems in the future . Available from most auto stores .

Richard L
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No the front rims and rear rims are not correct for the TO 30. Those front rims look like the rims many of the trailer mfg. co. use. The original front rims had 12 holes so you could install the rims on the hub either way if you wanted to change the width for different crops.

Del Huebner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will the rims from an 8N Ford fit on the TO-30 front and rear hubs?

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes rims from an 8N will fit both front and rear. The only difference is the valve stem holes are on opposite sides on the rear rims and Ferguson and Ford used different mounting bolts for the outer rims but they will work. Ford used a carriage bolt while Ferguson used a bolt that had two flats on the head so you could hold the bolt with the Ferguson wrench if you needed to.As a matter of fact, the solid center rims that the N series came with are no longer available and the end up being replaced with the scalled style center rim that Ferguson used.

oldmisterbill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't want to offend any one. But I think brass nuts are terrible. They gall and over many years of factory maintainence & auto repair I have had poor luck with brass nuts.. On marine application & food processing I got used to stainless steel nuts - my current chhoice on exahust. I never had one problem using stainless fasteners.

I thought I would share another trick. I stumbled on ace hardware furnace cement - it seems to have a better adhesive then other furnace cements. I use a very thin (almost transparent skim coat on both sides of the gaskets. It helps to make a better seal - I have saved some old manifolds by using slightly more to fill imperfections (such as pitted surfaces).

My 2 bits only worth 2 b its but then 2 bits are 2 bits . Smile Mr bill

Mike Darlington
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rear tires look a heck of a lot bigger than the ones on our TO30. Just sayin. Are they the original size tires?

Del Huebner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike, See Richard L's reply below, he covered it real well.

Mike Darlington
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Questions. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Del. I musta skipped right over the rear tire part. We got our TO30 to use on our property. It's not going to get restored hopefully some paint would be nice. Our looks just like the one you have pictured, it needs paint, kinda rusty, but hey yours has lights.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.